A Hill To Die Upon

Go down

A Hill To Die Upon

Post by lhversaw on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:29 pm

ok so by now everyone has heard all about the stryper controversy with the new album.  But I haven't heard a single word about A Hill To die Upon's new album.

the second track in my opinion is way more controversial than Stryper.  With them I get what they are trying to do but A Hill To Die Upon What in the world is this all about.

Jubal and Syrinx04:52  Hide lyrics
 I made to call myself righteous 
I made to fashion myself a saint 
But I saw the devils standing there 
And they called to me "brother!" 
I sought to cast off my indignities 
I sought to slough off my stains 
But my whole skin came with it 
For I am not but soul, sin, and pain 

We thought we were wolves hunting our prey 
but weíre just dogs searching for a new master 

Drowned I shall be by the waves, 
But solid I shall stand in my watery grave. 
What if what I wilt is this sickening submission? 
What if what I wilt is this goddamned religion? 

I tried to steal past the watchful dragons 
But only one of us made it through 
I tried to steal past those deceitful dragons 
But what they say might be true 

I shall lay the foundation 
Of a temple that shall last forever 
A simple harmony to the grand theme 
A sound that shall never pass away 
Apollo has a made bed in my ear 
To sing me songs of my disgrace 
Making his temple of sublime noise 
Just behind my terrified, unbelieving face 

We thought we were wolves hunting those who pray 
but weíre just dogs searching for a new master 

I shall waste my time 
With blood and wine 
And the superstitious meal 
Shared by me and my kind 

What if what I wilt is this goddamned religion?

To me this is flat out taking God's name in vain.  Am I the only one to catch this?  I love A Hill To Die Upon but this song has me scratching my head.  Thoughts?
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Re: A Hill To Die Upon

Post by Black Rider on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm sure they have a way to justify it but i'm not for this.
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabbatharian on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:29 pm

When was this written?
Sabbatharian
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 pm

They already addressed this back when they released the album.

The "dogs searching for a new Master" are atheists/satanists who claim to find freedom by spurning God to, in reality, become slaves to their own desires.

The "what I wilt" is a play on Aleister Crowley's famous statement, the Satanist/hedonist motto "do what though wilt shall be the whole of the law." They are literally calling satanism/hedonism a God damned religion. Not in appropriate at all in my opinion. In fact I find it perhaps the most appropriate use of the term I've heard. It's also perfectly fitting that AHTDU would write it because they nail these clever turns of phrase in their work all the time. It's their thing.
Frozen Fire
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by hellig on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:43 am

Love the song
hellig
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:10 pm

It's obvious that the lyrics are from the perspective of one opposed to Christianity. That doesn't seem controversial - Christian bands have done that hundreds of times.

Are we supposed to be bothered by the term "goddamned"? Does the term "God Forsaken" offend you in the same way? Both terms mean similar (not identical) things. God "damning" something expresses condemnation, while God "forsaking" refers to deserting or abandoning.

Demon Hunter has a song called "God Forsaken." Here's the chorus:

"A fall to the fires of Hell never failed to awaken
Though my soul ascends, in the darkness of my heart again
I'm God forsaken
A fall to the fires of Hell never failed to awaken
Though my soul ascends, in the darkness of my heart again
I'm God forsaken 

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:01 am

Like you said, they don't mean the same thing and the DH song is used in a very different way, echoing the Psalms and Jesus words on the cross.
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorship on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:08 pm

I know this is old - But I struggled with this for a bit myself, so perhaps this helps someone *shrug* I unno

As someone who was pretty disappointed with FFAK and P'd off, I actually dont mind this lyric at all lol.

P'd off annoyed me because its a "half cuss" used nowadays however as someone who loves his trusty old KJV "pisseth" is certainly used...frequently in the OT. However it wasn't used in the proper context in FFAK case - it's culturally a kind of half cuss. I don't think Christians need to be using unwholesome talk at all (Eph 4:29)

With that said so hopefully I dont get beat with the hypocrite stick. For me I try and give people who are known fellow brothers and sisters in Christ as much benefit of the doubt as possible. When I looked up the lyrics on darklyrics these lyrics were prefaced with the following:

'Do what thou wilt' shall be the whole of the Law.
―Aleister Crowley

So then I googled Aleister crowley to refresh my dumb self and sure enough the guy was ...well... see for yourself.

According to Wiki

Aleister Crowley was an English occultist, ceremonial magician, poet, painter, novelist, and mountaineer. He founded the religion of Thelema, identifying himself as the prophet entrusted with guiding humanity into the Æon of Horus in the early 20th century

So then I throw myself in the shows of Aleister, perhaps being convicted by the Holy spirit and instead of converting I start "kicking at the pricks"

Then I read the lyrics.

What if what I wilt is this god-damned religion? (Thelema) from the Wiki article

*notes in red are mine of course.

Then there's nothing wrong here is there? Will God not be just and damn that which is evil and corrupt? I for one certainly believe says so and therefore certainly does hope so.

Blessings,

Last edited by Gorship on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i am le bad at righting)
Gorship
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorship on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:They already addressed this back when they released the album.

The "dogs searching for a new Master" are atheists/satanists who claim to find freedom by spurning God to, in reality, become slaves to their own desires.

The "what I wilt" is a play on Aleister Crowley's famous statement, the Satanist/hedonist motto "do what though wilt shall be the whole of the law." They are literally calling satanism/hedonism a God damned religion. Not in appropriate at all in my opinion. In fact I find it perhaps the most appropriate use of the term I've heard. It's also perfectly fitting that AHTDU would write it because they nail these clever turns of phrase in their work all the time. It's their thing.

Bah I should have read all the comments carefully first - you already had this spelled out  Sleep
Gorship
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum