Post by Sabbatharian on Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Anything going on w/this band...?
Sabbatharian
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Re: Harmony

Post by Friday13th on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:17 pm

The Darkwater facebook says Darkwater is recording a new album. Not sure about the sister band Harmony.
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 am

I just discovered them recently and was blown away.

Very adept Yngwie cloning going on with their earlier release.

Temple of Blood
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:49 am

I'll check out new Darkwater, enjoyed them more then Harmony.
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabbatharian on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm a huge fan of Harmony, kinda took off where Narnia left off, though I suppose they're back...
Sabbatharian
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 pm

For the uninitiated: I've got a few Harmony CDs but I don't know Darkwater.  I know there is a overlap in members but I don't really know the difference.

P.S. I just watched a the song "Breathe" on YouTube and I like it but it sounds like Harmony to me.  Why the different monker?

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:48 am

I liked the old lineup better personally. I much preferred Henrik's vocals. He had a great voice
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:47 am

eatbugs wrote:For the uninitiated: I've got a few Harmony CDs but I don't know Darkwater.  I know there is a overlap in members but I don't really know the difference.

P.S. I just watched a the song "Breathe" on YouTube and I like it but it sounds like Harmony to me.  Why the different monker?
Darkwater is proggier, plus no christian lyrics.
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:49 am

Blake wrote:I liked the old lineup better personally. I much preferred Henrik's vocals. He had a great voice
Many power metal fans would choose Heiman over Bath, in part due to Heiman's work with Lost Horizon. I never got into that band, but I always found Bath's vocals too squeaky, bad enough to drag the music down. Heiman was a huge improvement I have to say.
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:17 am

Andreas89 wrote:
Blake wrote:I liked the old lineup better personally. I much preferred Henrik's vocals. He had a great voice
Many power metal fans would choose Heiman over Bath, in part due to Heiman's work with Lost Horizon. I never got into that band, but I always found Bath's vocals too squeaky, bad enough to drag the music down. Heiman was a huge improvement I have to say.
Loved Lost Horizon back in the day, especially the first album. Their lyrics were ridiculously over the top, which kept me off of them at first but they did meat and potatoes power metal at such a high level. The second album was too overblown but had some incredible material. 

I say that because you nailed my thoughts on both vocalists. Daniel's vocals were my favorite part of Lost Horizon. The man could sing like few others, though his work in Harmony didn't reach to his ability or his diversity. Henrik is too light, in contrast to Daniel, the weakest link in both bands.
Frozen Fire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:50 am

I can see that Henrik's voice wasnt a fit for power metal really but I still liked his voice because it seemed to set them apart as not sounding like all the other power metal vocals. Also it made my wife who isnt a metal fan like them.
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Verbum Lux on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Big Harmony fan, at least when it comes to their second album.  Absolutely love Aftermath - it's one of my all time favorite albums, Christian or otherwise.  Prevail, Rain, Kingdom, Don't Turn Away, and End of My Road are masterpieces, and the rest of the album is no slouch either.  Top notch power metal with the sort of bite most power metal lacks, and enough proggy touches to keep things interesting.

Dreaming Awake has some very good songs too (especially the title track).  Some of the songs are kind of weak though, even a bit awkward, such as Eternity and the Fall of Man.  I highly suspect that the better tracks were written quite a while later than the others, as they seem much more polished and better written.  Overall though, the good outweighs the bad and makes up for it being a somewhat uneven album.

Theatre of Redemption is ..... pretty good, I guess.  Disappointing after how outstanding Aftermath was, but taken on it's own, it's still a likeable, if somewhat forgettable album.

The follow-up EP, Rememberance is definitely worth getting though.  The remakes of the Dreaming Awake songs aren't anything special, but the two new songs are killer.  Much better than anything on Theatre of Redemption, as well as more explicitly Christian.

Their facebook hasn't been updated since early 2017, and it doesn't seem like they've posted any true news since 2015.  My guess is they're probably finished.  It's a shame, but maybe the band has just run it's course.  At least we'll always have Aftermath.  Smile

Andreas89 wrote:
Darkwater is proggier, plus no christian lyrics.
Yeah, people seem to mistake Darkwater for a Christian band because of the Harmony, but they're definitely not.  Also, I read somewhere years ago that the reason Henrik and Magnus left the band is because they weren't Christians and didn't want to give people a false impression.  Mind you, that's secondhand info and I never saw anything official, but if true, I can respect that.  It's just a shame that their replacements weren't as good.

Blake wrote:I can see that Henrik's voice wasnt a fit for power metal really but I still liked his voice because it seemed to set them apart as not sounding like all the other power metal vocals. Also it made my wife who isnt a metal fan like them.

I like Henrik's vocals a lot better.  Definitely more distinctive, and helped set they apart from all the other power metal bands out there.  He might not have the power (pun intended) of some of the other singers in the genre, but his voice had a bit more of an ..... I don't know ..... "edge" or something.

Nothing against Daniel Heiman, but to me he sounded like just another power metal vocalist.  At least with Harmony anyway.  Never heard Lost Horizon, but maybe I should give them a listen since I keep hearing how great he was with them.
Verbum Lux
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum