The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Randomly meeting other Christian metal fans

+16
metaldude
crucifyd
Living Sacrifice
stevegarveyfan
bjorn agin
strangerhoncho
Frozen Fire
Livna
Hardcore Christian
Staybrite
Kerrick
eatbugs
Pershing1134
deathisgain
Tombie
bodachi
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Randomly meeting other Christian metal fans Empty Randomly meeting other Christian metal fans

Post by bodachi Fri May 04, 2018 12:04 am

The Christian metal fan base seems to be not so big, so meeting another fan always takes me by surprise.

Today I pulled into a random driveway in Tumwater, WA, trying to find my way when a blue car drove past, blasting Theocracy's "Thirty Pieces of Silver".

When I was stationed at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, in 2004, I was on temporary duty in Fort Richardson for New Equipment Training on the new Stryker.  I was wearing my Tourniquet hat (the one I wear when I slaughter chickens) when another soldier approached me to tell me he listened to them, as well.

Not the same, but still cool - also in Alaska in 2003:  I was on the SaviourMachine.com (remember that? good times) forum when another fan with whom I was chatting noticed I was in the Army in Alaska.  He asked me if I knew his brother...who turned out to be my commanding officer.

Anything like this ever happen to any of y'all?
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Randomly meeting other Christian metal fans Empty Re: Randomly meeting other Christian metal fans

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 am

I was talking to another school dad the other week and found we had a background growing up listening to the same bands. That was pretty cool. Even some local christian metal bands in the Australian scene.

Back to top Go down

Randomly meeting other Christian metal fans Empty Re: Randomly meeting other Christian metal fans

Post by Tombie Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Hey bodachi, do you live in the Olympia area? I live about an hour away. In fact, we are heading to Tumwater today.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Fri May 04, 2018 7:49 am

bodachi wrote:Today I pulled into a random driveway in Tumwater, WA, trying to find my way when a blue car drove past, blasting Theocracy's "Thirty Pieces of Silver".

And you didn't chase them down?
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Fri May 04, 2018 9:22 am

^^I live in Rochester (5 miles west of exit 88)

^I did, in fact, chase him down.  We had a nice chat about music.

I forgot another meeting, the best one!
1998 at Fort Drum, New York, at Primary Leadership Development Course.  Bored one evening after classes, I visit a student who happened to be from my troop, but I barely knew him, as he was in a different platoon.  I ask him what he's listening to on his Walkman - Deliverance's "Stay of Execution".  Justin & I have been good friends ever since
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am

bodachi wrote:^^I live in Rochester (5 miles west of exit 88)
ah, that's about 45 minutes away from me... cool. We may have to hang out and rock some time.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing1134 Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 am

So I'm walking down the isle in my local Home Depot in central Washington State and I see this teenager wearing an authentic Deliverance "Faster For The Master" t-shirt. Of course I have to stop him and ask, "Hey, were did you get that shirt?" His dad said that he originally purchased it in Vancouver, B.C. when Deliverance played a venue called "The Paramount" on their Weapons of our Warfare Tour, back in 1991.

Here's the crazy thing....I was a roadie for "D" at that time and was in charge of the merchandise booth for that very show in Vancouver, 23 years ago.  Pretty cool to have sold the shirt to that guy who then passed it onto his son...

Never know what you'll find at your local hardware store!   Randomly meeting other Christian metal fans 638470910
Pershing1134
Pershing1134
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri May 04, 2018 12:14 pm

There's a guy I've known for 6+ years.  I work with him and our kids are friends.  I had a Facebook discussion with another friend about greatest Christian metal/rock albums and he chimed in.  I've known this guy for several years and had NO IDEA he ANY knowledge AT ALL of Christian rock and metal.

His daughter is coming over tonight for a sleepover and I hope to talk metal with him when he drops her off.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri May 04, 2018 12:37 pm

I was at a Warning (secular doom metal band) concert and saw a guy wearing an Aletheian shirt.  We chatted for a bit; he was a cool guy.  I was on a bus in Norway and saw a guy wearing a Becoming The Archetype shirt.  I was really tempted to yell at him while we passed by but didn't haha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Fri May 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Here is irony for you.  
This has never happened to me, despite that fact that I live in Washington State....along with nearly half of the people who have posted in this thread.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri May 04, 2018 2:43 pm

A pretty major one was, my youth pastor was helping put on a concert for this indie rock band, so I helped out set up and tear down, kind of thing. And a guy who is really good friends with my youth pastor turns out to be a huge metal fan, mostly modern but a lot of classic bands as well, we have since become really great friends and go to concerts here in Spokane together, we both always have tons of stories of concerts we have been to and trade new music. Apparently we went to many of the same shows in the last few years as well and had no idea Razz
You never know who your gonna run into

A more minor one was, a couple weeks ago, I was in the check out line at Costco and I was wearing my Mychildren Mybride hoodie, and the checker apparently was a big fan and we talked about the last time they were in Spokane like 7 years ago, that one really surprised me
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri May 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Staybrite wrote:Here is irony for you.  
This has never happened to me, despite that fact that I live in Washington State....along with nearly half of the people who have posted in this thread.
We should have a CMR Washington conference or something lol!
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Livna Fri May 04, 2018 4:23 pm

This was maybe back in the 90s. I was visiting family in Ohio and we stopped at McDonalds or a Burger King or something like that. There was this Metalhead couple there eating and I noticed the guy wearing a Bloodgood shirt. I went up to them and said “hey I know Bloodgood!”  Turns our they were on their way to Cornerstone. I told him I was jealous because I had never been but always wanted to go. We talked about other bands we were into at the time like Bride, Vengeance etc... we exchanged addresses in the hopes of maybe become pen pals. But I never wrote them and have always felt bad about it.
Livna
Livna
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Fri May 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Hey Staybrite... where do you live? I am in Cosmopolis near Aberdeen... home of Kurt Cobain lol. I actually went to school with him and Chris but was never a fan. I liked some of Chris' other bands back in high school.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat May 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Wore my Vengeance Rising "Human Sacrifice" shirt to Disney world about 7yrs ago and someone in the line for a Toy Story ride got super excited when he saw it. We had a nice talk. I also got a lot of dirty looks and got a question from the photographer about what it meant when we were getting a picture with some of the characters (my wife's no 1 priority that year). Having a bloody hand nailed to wood with a line that says "Human Sacrifice" was probably not advised at Disney World.  Laughing

Wore my The Crucified shirt to a park for a picnic with my wife and our kids maybe 4 years ago and had someone there recognize it and had a nice talk as well.

This has happened both ways quite a few times over the years. Even at Christian shows wearing odd bands gets a conversation going. Recently went to see Disciple in Wadsworth Ohio and had a few good conversations because I wore a Demoniciduth shirt in a crowd of mostly hard rock fans. It singles out the metalheads or invites the curious. It's got a gruesome cover to which can invite those wondering if you're into secular metal.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sat May 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Both of mine involve the Crucified:

I interviewed a guy about 4 years back who was applying to work at my warehouse.  Cool dude, real nice, and a crusty musician covered head to toe in tattoos.  I hired him, and on his first day of work during conversation he drops that he used to go to a festival called Cornerstone when he was a young teen in '89-91 or so and loved bands like Crucified, Scaterd Few, and Vengeance Rising.  I couldn't believe it!  I said "I knew there was a reason I liked you so much during your interview!" 

The other one I posted about here when it happened last year, and that was when a big SUV pulled up beside my company van at a stop light in downtown Los Angeles and were blasting something from the Crucified's Pillars of Humanity.   I yelled at him out the window "You're playing the Crucified!" and he just smiled and said "Hell yeah I am!" and then sped off as the light turned green.  It was surreal.

There have also been instances where people at various churches I've gone to have come up and also liked Zao, the Crucified, Tourniquet, Living Sacrifice, etc. when I wore shirts to church, but that's to be expected.  Made some good friends that way -- it's the main reason I always wear those shirts!

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun May 06, 2018 1:19 am

Frozen Fire wrote:Having a bloody hand nailed to wood with a line that says "Human Sacrifice" was probably not advised at Disney World.  Laughing 

Ha!  Probably not.

Now that I think about it, I wore a Circle of Dust shirt at Magic Kingdom in January without any other fans noticing. Crying or Very sad

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Sun May 06, 2018 6:26 am

Not quite meeting other Christian metal fans, but the other day I was wearing my Theocracy - As the World Burns shirt and I had two different guys ask me "What's Theocracy?"

Make's me smile. Very Happy
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Sun May 06, 2018 11:19 am

Tombie wrote:
Hey Staybrite... where do you live? I am in Cosmopolis near Aberdeen... home of Kurt Cobain lol. I actually went to school with him and Chris but was never a fan. I liked some of Chris' other bands back in high school.

I've been kicking around the South King county and North Pierce county area since the 1980's (Auburn, Federal Way, Puyallup, Orting).
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Sun May 06, 2018 3:18 pm

ah, ok. well, maybe someday we could meet in Oly or something. We go there at least once a month.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Sun May 06, 2018 9:10 pm

As of a week ago, I now live in northern Idaho so Spokane is just a 45 minute drive!  Looks like somewhere in WA might be great for a bunch of folks here meeting up.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Sun May 06, 2018 10:27 pm

A year or two ago I was in North Richland Hills, Texas at a Lone Star Brahmas ice hockey match.  I was wearing a Crucified shirt, and one of the guys in there knew the band.  Had a nice short talk about it.

Also, one of the mail carriers in my area is a huge fan of old-school Christian metal and knows pretty much all the bands from back in the late 80s.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun May 06, 2018 11:19 pm

Kerrick wrote:As of a week ago, I now live in northern Idaho so Spokane is just a 45 minute drive!  Looks like somewhere in WA might be great for a bunch of folks here meeting up.
No joke! We could meet somewhere in the middle of WA and have a day long CMR conference Razz
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Living Sacrifice Mon May 07, 2018 3:38 am

I work as a police officer in Stockholm and one day when I was the gym lifting weights, I randomly took a CD next to the CD-player and it was a CD with mixed metal music. I heard a song by Eternal Decision. I decieded to make my own cd with christian metal and play when I was working out in the gym. So one day I was working out when my superior officer came to me and asked me if it was my music playing from the speakers in the gym. I said yes. He said that he like it and listen to some of the bands.

Time passed and one day when we was riding along, patrolling the streets, he said: " I have to ask you a question?" "Are you a christian?" I said yes, why do you ask that? "Because of the music you played in the gym and how you are". Since then we listen to christian metal in the patrol car every time we ride together and we also went to a August Burns Red concert here in Stockholm.
Living Sacrifice
Living Sacrifice
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Living Sacrifice Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 am

Forgot to mention that I asked him later if he listen to Eternal Decision and he said no. He had never heard of them and it wasn't his mixed CD I had played. So that is still a mystery. Smile
Living Sacrifice
Living Sacrifice
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next