Wal-Mart refuses to carry new Stryper

Post by WildWorld on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:56 pm

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Re: Wal-Mart refuses to carry new Stryper

Post by eatbugs on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 pm

I saw this on Facebook.  No commercial brick-and-mortar retailer where I've lived has carried Stryper on release week since Reborn so I wasn't going to get it at Walmart anyway.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:28 am

They'll sell the crap that promotes sexual promiscuity and gangster life, but a provocative album name by a Christian band is a step too far. Way to go, Walmart!  Thumbs up  face palm Rolling Eyes

Though I also have to say that Stryper brought this on themselves by needlessly choosing such a name for the album. They wanted controversy...they got what they wanted.
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 am

I haven't been able to find any new releases there in a long time anyway so I wasn;t even gonna bother with them. That's why I preordered from Amazon. I went to every town in store looking for a CD copy of the new Priest and no one had it so I had to order it on iTunes. Kind of wanted liner notes and a booklet but I really wanted to  hear it so I settled for the downloads.
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:24 am

Though I also have to say that Stryper brought this on themselves by needlessly choosing such a name for the album. They wanted controversy...they got what they wanted.

This exactly!  Fans tried to tell them that this was a poor choice. Even if we tried to keep it positive, however, we got lumped into a group of people who were legalistic and judgmental.  We tried to tell Michael that this would be misconstrued and make even believers feel uncomfortable.  They are just seeing the end result of what some of us fans were predicting.

On a side note, I ordered the CD and should receive it Friday according to Amazon.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 am

This will probably give them some much needed publicity and something to talk about for years to come.

Temple of Blood
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Livna on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
I would agree with that statement somewhat. But Stryper has never been any strangers to controversy starting way back when they first hit the scene with YABA. So yeah this is nothing new. I remember how much controversy there was during the Against The Law period. Michael later says this album was a misstep. Could GDE be a repeat of what happened after ATL? Only time will tell.
Livna
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm

I quit looking for CDs at Walmart about 4 or 5 years ago because they quit carrying what I was interested in.

Besides this obviously seemed like Stryper's goal when they named their new album what they did....garner as much controversy as they possibly could.
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm

I was tempted to make a joke combining the name of the store and the name of the album ... but I'll refrain.

To be honest, like others, this news is irrelevant to me.
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:20 am

I honestly think this is kind of made up controversy, honestly other than pop and country albums what new music does Wal-Mart even carry?

Even Best Buy at that? Some bands will still do exclusive releases but even then they only have like 20 copies in the back and their gone within a couple days

Sorry little rant there, but anyway sounds like made up publicity stuff almost on Stryper's part
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 am

Even Best Buy at that? Some bands will still do exclusive releases but even then they only have like 20 copies in the back and their gone within a couple days

Sorry little rant there, but anyway sounds like made up publicity stuff almost on Stryper's part

You are probably more correct than you know.  Walmart here carries precious few CDs anymore.  Target keeps the current top 10 and will stock a few Christmas discs when that time comes.  Best Buy here no longer even has a CD section and has scaled back their DVD/Bluray section to almost nothing.  So, for any of these three retailers to say no to carrying the new disc, it is because they don't think it sell enough copies to make it profitable for them.  Shoot, Walmart had exclusive albums for a time with KISS and Journey and they probably don't have those in stock anymore.

I would hate to think that the band intentionally made up this controversy, though.  I've seen some pretty nasty stuff said back and forth on Facebook by fans for and against the name of the album.  Many music pages have removed or banned further discussion of the album due to the division it has caused.  IF this is all a publicity stunt, then it has gone horribly wrong.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Very few retail stores carry much I even listen to, dating back to the late 1990's.  To be fair, I did buy the latest Alice Cooper CD at Walmart a few weeks ago.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:41 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

You are probably more correct than you know.  Walmart here carries precious few CDs anymore.  Target keeps the current top 10 and will stock a few Christmas discs when that time comes.  Best Buy here no longer even has a CD section and has scaled back their DVD/Bluray section to almost nothing.  So, for any of these three retailers to say no to carrying the new disc, it is because they don't think it sell enough copies to make it profitable for them.  Shoot, Walmart had exclusive albums for a time with KISS and Journey and they probably don't have those in stock anymore.

I would hate to think that the band intentionally made up this controversy, though.  I've seen some pretty nasty stuff said back and forth on Facebook by fans for and against the name of the album.  Many music pages have removed or banned further discussion of the album due to the division it has caused.  IF this is all a publicity stunt, then it has gone horribly wrong.
Hate to say it, but as I said when the title was first announced, the whole title is for more publicity, more news pages get more clicks with an album titled like this

And sorry to say but I really doubt Wal-Mart, would ban it because of just the title, most pop albums are incredibly vulgar, and what I see is Wal-Mart just did'nt think it would sell, which is not surprising because not many people buy CD's sadly

I stand by the band is just riding it for more people to look into the album

Just look at how many sites have an article on this!

https://www.google.com/search?q=walmart+refuses+to+carry+stryper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Either way I like the album tongue
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 pm

I never would've found this at Walmart anyway. They don't carry anything new that I want.... However yesterday I noticed they did have the reissue of Metallica "the 9.98 EP" reissue on CD. I would've picked it up had I not originally bought it when it was first released 30 years ago. Reminded me I need to listen to Garage Days Re-Revisited. Haven't listened to it in years. 

Oh and I love the new Stryper. Amazon delivered right on time. Who needs Walmart? Not me!
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:27 pm

That Metallica ep has far raunchier lyrics than this! Come on Wal mart.

Temple of Blood
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 am

You're gonna have a tough time to convince me that this kind of news isn't what Michael Sweet wanted for this album. I really like the guy, but since he's, let's call it, "provocative christian virtue-signalling" all the time, it's a bit weird for him to behave surprised or disappointed.

But well, if the music's good... must check this out too.
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:50 am

So the local classic rock station (which never plays anything new) was talking tonight about the new Stryper and how Walmart didn't carry it. So they played the title track!! I couldn't believe it! Was odd and cool at the same time to hear GDE on the radio!
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabbatharian on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:43 am

New Walmart version...

Sabbatharian
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:31 pm

That shows how hot it has been around the Nashville area lately!  lol!
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum