Luke Easter - new EP

Post by ludey7 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 pm

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Re: Luke Easter - new EP

Post by Luke Easter on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks for sharing. I’m very excited about this project, and I can’t wait for you all to hear it!

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:19 pm

So what kind of style should we expect from these new songs?
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Would like to see where this is going musically.
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:22 am

What little you hear in the background on the video almost reminds me of Skillet.  I'd be okay with that, but would prefer something a bit more metal.

Luke, can you tell us more about the direction of the music, please?
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:57 pm

It's a rock record. Guitars, bass, drums and lots of vocals. Did my best to not do anything reminiscent of my old band. Tim Gaines makes an appearance on one song. The bulk of the record features David Bach on bass, Jess Sprinkle on drums, and Josiah Prince playing leads. My producer, Kris Kanoho, played the rest of the guitars.

Don't judge the project by the music bed in the video - that's not my stuff. Just a loop that worked for the promo.

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Well this came by surprise!
I'm definitely interested and will be backing this as soon as I'm financially more stable. Can't go higher than just getting the cd, but I'll do what I can to support this project.

By the way Luke, have you actually written all (or some) of the music too in this album?

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Yes. I wrote it.

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 am

Can't wait, so looking forward to this. Airola, $7 gets you the music. I can't remember any other crowd funding campaign with an entry point that low. You can't even get a fast food combo meal for that price any more.
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Wigeon wrote:Can't wait, so looking forward to this. Airola, $7 gets you the music. I can't remember any other crowd funding campaign with an entry point that low. You can't even get a fast food combo meal for that price any more.
lol!

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 pm

Wigeon wrote:Can't wait, so looking forward to this. Airola, $7 gets you the music. I can't remember any other crowd funding campaign with an entry point that low. You can't even get a fast food combo meal for that price any more.

Sure. I will definitely get the $7 digital download if I can't get the CD as I'm really excited about this album, but trying to get the CD is my first priority. I want the physical album but with shipping it will cost me $30 and right now I'm not sure I can do that. I'm aiming for saving some cash to be able to do that though.

Not sure which of my sins wins; being too gluttonous to not want to skip a few fast food combo meals or being too materialistic idol worshipper who just wants more physical stuff to fill a void in my life Very Happy

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:49 pm

I have no idea what kind of music is coming out of this. Luke was in Tourniquet only and apparently Ted doesn't give too much space for other members to come with some ideas.

I also wonder how will Luke's voice sound on an album that apparently isn't metal or the kind of metal we are used to.
On the other hand, some of the guys are right. Seven dollars for a download is a price that certainly worth coming aboard.
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Definitely interested.
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 am

108% funded. Really cool. I am about to back it as well.
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Yeah it's good to see it's going well for him.

I managed to back it too. Not only for the digital download but I'm now getting the cd too. $30 is quite a bit for an EP but it's now paid and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Fri May 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Not sure if anyone's interested, but the record was delivered to manufacturing yesterday. Backer perks should ship by the end of May, and general release info will be announced shortly.

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie on Fri May 04, 2018 6:54 pm

SWEET! Lookin' forward to hear what has been going on in your head since the TQ days. Thanks Luke.
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Mon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm

For those of you following along at home, backer perks shipped this past weekend and downloads will be emailed by late tonight.

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy on Tue May 22, 2018 3:12 am

Thanks Luke, this has to easily be the fastest turnaround crowdfunder ever!  ....and I still await the new Tourniquet album that I helped fund a long time ago!!!   lol!
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Tue May 22, 2018 6:34 am

Got the download and have listened through it once as I'm starting to write this.

The album title is THE POP DISASTER. The cover looks really good, as does the layout cover booklet the download included as a pdf form.

So, about the music, and first the negatives:

It's mostly too upbeat and happy for my liking, as I'm way more into melancholic music. The songs are in major key instead of minor, which makes it hard for me to get into it that much - with the exception of the last song which has a bit of melancholy to it.

That said, those who are more into "happy sounding" pop rock songs will probably enjoy this a lot. It's really well produced and the musicianship is rock solid through the album. As happy rock songs they are also very well written - 95% of the music has been written by Luke and I never knew he had that good songwriting skills. Put the music on a playlist with similar commercial songs and it fits in no problem. The production quality and the compositions have that same commercial quality - too bad that's not a playlist I would have Very Happy

My favorite track is the last one: Sleep.
That one is different from the rest as it doesn't have drums and it has violin and cello - and a bit of the melancholy I so much missed when going through the previous tracks. This song is still mostly in major key but in a more enjoyable way. This one was the first song in the album that I actually immediately wanted to hear a second time.

Now going through the album a second time, Sleep is still the absolute highlight for me and I've gotten a bit more used to the overall happiness of the album. The rest of the songs sound more enjoyable, but I still miss minor chords and scales a lot.

I doubt Luke wants to compare this to Tourniquet in any way, but we can't ignore history and people are probably really interested to hear where it musically falls in line when compared to Tourniquet.
The answer is, as Luke has already mentioned in the campaign, pretty much none, pretty much completely zero. Put a gun in my head and force me to find the closest songs from the Tourniquet catalog, and I would probably say Twilight and Heads I Win Tails You Lose, but with more rock edge to them and more modern production, and the album is still quite a bit different from those tracks.

Let's go through the album track by track:

1. LIFE GOES ON
A happy commercial sounding soft pop rock song with a catchy chorus. Tim Gaines is on bass in this one.

2. HOW TO DIE ALONE AND BROKEN
Faster song that sounds a bit like pop punk. This is something that would've easily fit in a Green Day or Avril Lavigne album.

3. SIDEWAYS
Back to softer rock. Super catchy chorus. There's something in a couple of parts with the background guitar that reminds me of U2.

4. AS DAMAGED AS YOU ARE
Faster track. Not as fast as track 2 but faster than the other ones. For some reason this is not as memorable as the rest of the tracks.

5. AFTER I'M GONE
Cool bass track. Sounds maybe a bit more of a regular hard rock song than a pure pop rock song - not that this isn't pop rock too, but there's this certain edge to it gives to me more of a hard rock feel to it.

6. MISSPENT
Back to softer rock. Back to more commercial and catchy elements. I would say during the first listen this was my favorite track before I heard the next one.

7. SLEEP
Acoustic guitar, violin, cello, no drums.
Very moody track. My favorite on the album.

Now that I've gotten used to the happiness of the album, I keep on getting back to Sleep and Sideways. Both are very good songs.

If a music that sounds HAPPY doesn't bother you, if you are more into the first 8 happier tracks of Stryper's Against the Law instead of the last three more dark and intense tracks of it (not that this album sounds like Stryper), if you like to listen to a best of album by Creedence Clearwater Revival or Smokie or ELO without wanting to skip through the happy tracks looking for the one darker and edgier song that might or might not be there, if you have no problem to listen to the happier and more poppy tracks by Green Day or Avril Lavigne or [insert a 2000's rock band here], or if you like Bon Jovi and listening to the solo albums of Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora only makes you even more excited - I see no reason why you wouldn't like this album.

For what it is - a happy pop rock album that takes steps to harder rock and then softer rock and with a hint of pop punk in one song while going for moody violin in another - it is really well made. If you can't stand happy sounding music, you will probably not like this at all. If you can't stand commercial pop rock, you will probably not like it either. If you are fine with those, I think you will enjoy the album a lot. There are catchy pop hooks and the songwriting is of commercial quality, which really surprised me.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon on Tue May 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Nice review Airola. I agree with most of it and I too am very fond of Sideways and Sleep. While it has a "happy" sound overall, the lyrical themes that seem to permeate the album tend to darken it enough to make it really interesting in my opinion. I really like every single song on the album. It has exceeded my expectations and I have been very emotionally moved by the album as I've been listening to it several times today. I love everything about it - the vocals, the lyrics, the music, the honesty and rawness, the whole vibe. I've been a fan of Luke since the beginning when I saw him live for the first time in 1993 right after he joined the "band". This album is the icing on the cake for me. I would add that Misspent has a very Bon Jovi vibe to it, but in a good way (sorry/not sorry Luke). I really hope this opens up some new opportunities for more music to come. Can't wait to hear the new Gary Lenaire song with Luke on it and hopefully much more music in the future from Luke.
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeRangeBeliever on Wed May 23, 2018 11:25 am

Wigeon wrote:Nice review Airola. I agree with most of it and I too am very fond of Sideways and Sleep. While it has a "happy" sound overall, the lyrical themes that seem to permeate the album tend to darken it enough to make it really interesting in my opinion. I really like every single song on the album. It has exceeded my expectations and I have been very emotionally moved by the album as I've been listening to it several times today. I love everything about it - the vocals, the lyrics, the music, the honesty and rawness, the whole vibe. I've been a fan of Luke since the beginning when I saw him live for the first time in 1993 right after he joined the "band". This album is the icing on the cake for me. I would add that Misspent has a very Bon Jovi vibe to it, but in a good way (sorry/not sorry Luke). I really hope this opens up some new opportunities for more music to come. Can't wait to hear the new Gary Lenaire song with Luke on it and hopefully much more music in the future from Luke.

What the?? ... Luke singing on a Gary Lenaire song?!! How did this happen? Is Luke on good terms with both Gary, and Ted?
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 pm

FreeRangeBeliever wrote:
Wigeon wrote:Nice review Airola. I agree with most of it and I too am very fond of Sideways and Sleep. While it has a "happy" sound overall, the lyrical themes that seem to permeate the album tend to darken it enough to make it really interesting in my opinion. I really like every single song on the album. It has exceeded my expectations and I have been very emotionally moved by the album as I've been listening to it several times today. I love everything about it - the vocals, the lyrics, the music, the honesty and rawness, the whole vibe. I've been a fan of Luke since the beginning when I saw him live for the first time in 1993 right after he joined the "band". This album is the icing on the cake for me. I would add that Misspent has a very Bon Jovi vibe to it, but in a good way (sorry/not sorry Luke). I really hope this opens up some new opportunities for more music to come. Can't wait to hear the new Gary Lenaire song with Luke on it and hopefully much more music in the future from Luke.

What the?? ... Luke singing on a Gary Lenaire song?!! How did this happen? Is Luke on good terms with both Gary, and Ted?

I was about to come and say this was perhaps an example of possible "future opportunities" and just something Wigeon hopes would happen, but I went and checked Gary Lenaire's Facebook page... At first I saw Gary just acknowledging Luke's album and congratulating him on that, but then I scrolled down a bit and saw Luke saying already in Ferbuary 27th that he had just recorded vocals for an upcoming Gary Lenaire song! How did I miss that! :O

I knew they had been great friends when they were both in Tourniquet. I recall Luke telling in an interview like maybe 10-15 years ago in now nonexistent Roger Martinez' Warpath forum that he and Gary were really good friends (or... I think it was Luke... Maybe it was Gary... nah, I think it was Luke). And I thought they probably are still in good terms. Maybe he even said that himself.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs on Wed May 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Where can I buy this?  Money was tight during the crowdfunding campaign so I couldn't support.  I'd love to pick up a CD now though.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 pm

eatbugs wrote:Where can I buy this?  Money was tight during the crowdfunding campaign so I couldn't support.  I'd love to pick up a CD now though.

The official release seems to be June 15th. The backers have got it early.
You can preorder it here if you want:
https://lukeeaster.bandcamp.com/releases

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs on Thu May 24, 2018 2:26 am

Airola wrote:
eatbugs wrote:Where can I buy this?  Money was tight during the crowdfunding campaign so I couldn't support.  I'd love to pick up a CD now though.

The official release seems to be June 15th. The backers have got it early.
You can preorder it here if you want:
https://lukeeaster.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks!

Yes, backers should get it before the rest of us.  I'll just be happy to get one period.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 am

Got the CD today!
This has got to be one of the fastest crowdfunding campaigns ever. Major props to Luke for handling the whole thing exceptionally well!

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Sun May 27, 2018 3:31 pm

Airola wrote:Got the CD today!
This has got to be one of the fastest crowdfunding campaigns ever. Major props to Luke for handling the whole thing exceptionally well!
Thanks! I hope you're enjoying the record!

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Been listening to it at least once a day for the past two weeks and I cannot get enough. More music like this soon please!
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:13 am

The Pop Disaster. Available now. www.lukeeaster.com

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by heck on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:54 am

DUDE! This IS GREAT STUFF. Just bought it on iTunes. Musically my comparison would be Altar Boys due to the positive vibe and catchy tunes. I was afraid the rasp was gone due to some of the comments but it’s there, it’s the voice we know.

heck
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.electric40 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 am

This is a SOLID rock n roll album... It's not a tourniquet or metal album... and that's fine with me... Other avenues of expression are always welcome in my way of thinking...

Solid songs and frankly my favorite it As Damaged as You Are...

Rock on 1
mr.electric40
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:36 pm

The music style is definitely not my cup of tea but those vocals deserve a HUGE compliment! I love Tourniquet's MVOATR and WMAD albums and listened to Acoustic Archives a thousand times. So I never had a problem with Luke's vocals but I always understood those people who said that it was not "the perfect marriage".
Now this is a totally different animal! Music and vocals fit 100% perfect and it's an outstanding performance!
I'm just frustrated about the fact that I don't have any friends who listen to 80's rock. So there's nobody I can recommend this album to. And it definitely deserves to receive a lot of attention!
BTW: I also love the artwork / layout. Really cool!
Tobi Elektrik
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris2018 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks for the info! I’ll check it out... I miss the 80’s

Chris2018
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 am

Just listened to the samples over on Bandcamp. I like it. The vocals remind me a little of Jamie Rowe.
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:04 pm

It does indeed sound great.
Fundy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by heck on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:39 am

After I’m Gone is my favorite track. And I’ve changed my mind — Jamie Rowe solo is a better comparison than Altar Boys. He could have just as well written all these songs, which have a Chrsitian worldview but are not openly Biblical.

heck
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:35 pm

heck wrote:After I’m Gone is my favorite track.  And I’ve changed my mind — Jamie Rowe solo is a better comparison than Altar Boys.   He could have just as well written all these songs, which have a Chrsitian worldview but are not openly Biblical.  

It is a great track. I never thought I would say something like this, but I love the country groove, especially the guitar solo. Sorry, but I've been listening to Jamie Rowe since 1989 or 90, and Luke since 1993, and I do not hear any similarities. Maybe I'm missing something. Either way, this is a great album and I cannot stop listening to it.
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Still listening. This album is absolutely BRUTAL! Lyrically, not musically Wink
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by heck on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:59 pm

“It is a great track. I never thought I would say something like this, but I love the country groove, especially the guitar solo. Sorry, but I've been listening to Jamie Rowe since 1989 or 90, and Luke since 1993, and I do not hear any similarities. Maybe I'm missing something. Either way, this is a great album and I cannot stop listening to it.”

Not Jamie with Guardian but Jamie solo or with London Calling

heck
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:54 am

Gotcha. Haven't listened to much of either of those, so will have to check them out. Luke's album in some ways reminds me of the poppy catchiness of the Angry Einsteins' (X- X-Sinner guys') album from what I remember about it.
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:26 pm

If you're interested, the new website is up where you can preorder the new The Pop Disaster t-shirts.

https://www.lukeeaster.com/product-page/the-pop-disaster-t-shirt

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 am

I finally picked this up a few weeks ago.  Great stuff, I'm not sure which song is my favorite yet (maybe "Sleep" is my least favorite but I like them all).  That's quite the all-star cast of musicians on it too.

Any plans for a full-length?

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:25 pm

This album is definitely standing the test of time and is not getting old. If you don't have it yet you are truly missing out. Luke is a great song writer and his variety of vocals and styles on this album are truly amazing.
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks, Wigeon!

Luke Easter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:37 pm

I've been wanting to do a full review of this album since it came out but I'm not sure I can add much to the great reviews I've already read. Instead, I want to talk some more about how great of a masterpiece that Sideways is. I love how it opens with Luke's voice and then the acoustic guitar comes in a second or two later. The clean electric guitar and drums come in, building up to the part where Luke pauses and totally switches gears into his higher range with the words "Went up in flames...". It gives me chills and reminds us of the range and variety of vocals that Luke has blessed us with for so many years. The range and dynamics of his voice in the chorus are truly awesome. The vocals in the chorus remind me of a cross between Bon Jovi and that guy from Soul Asylum, but better. The happy, staccato, offbeat pop rhythm comes in briefly to end the chorus and leads into the U2-like "jingle-jangle" chiming guitar sound in the second verse. Just when you think it can't get any better or more diverse, the angelic choir sound of the background vocals briefly accompany Luke's voice until he turns from Dr. Jeckyl to Mr. Hyde (or is it the other way around? Whatever, you get the point) again and shifts into high gear with "The wreckage of our lives...". The chorus is taken up another notch, this time with the background vocals. The staccato beat appears with the next interlude, but lasts longer this time with a subtle psychedelic phased guitar singing in the background. I love how this interlude ends on a positive note with the lyrics "I know I'll be better in the end..." and leads to the truly great guitar solo from Josiah which fits perfectly with the song. Angelic background vocals make another appearance. I love how the song ends with a vocal and the lyrics that the song started with, and how the subtle tambourine fades out. This is the perfect song with so many layers, nuances, dynamics, and emotions. Thank you Luke.
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum