Lo-Ruhamah's Annointing

Go down

Lo-Ruhamah's Annointing

Post by elManique on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:23 am

Any thoughts on Lo-Ruhamah's new album from 2017, Annointing?

It's a change in style, or at least tone, to a darker, more earthy black/death combo in the vein of Ulcerate. Still has hints of their natural quirkiness but generally is more straight ahead, given the style, to me.

The lyrics are pretty bleak, perhaps a struggle with faith or at least sin. Almost made me wonder whether they would still classify themselves as Christian but on a re-read the themes are evident. Poetically they're impeccable.

Not sure the change has produced as strong a work as The Glory of God but it's an intriguing listen.
elManique
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Re: Lo-Ruhamah's Annointing

Post by Kerrick on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Musically I really liked what I heard but the lyrics were pretty off-putting to me...  I only read through them once and that was a while ago, so maybe I should check it out again.

Their first album is one I really wanted to like but could just never get into it.  (That being said... if anyone's interested in owning it, I have a like-new copy for sale!)

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:03 am

I missed this one.  I liked their first two, so I'll have to give this a download and listen.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by lhversaw on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Seems more like lyrically about mysticism now as opposed to Christianity.
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 pm

^Sure seemed like it to me too.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:29 am

I had a hard time listening to this because of the lyrics. I wanted to take it as a downward spiral of man (perhaps Satan?) trying to deify himself, turning from God. It seemed like the album showed a progression of the despair that ensued. Personally it is one of the darkest albums lyrically I've ever experienced. I think if you read it in the manner above you'll see it though.

The song Corridor shows the shift where the story breaks. There is a painful self-realization that the character is not "I Am", yet he hates that truth and presses on in hatred for that light (John 3:19-20), reviling God for allowing the him the thought process (The line: "Did not you put this pit before me?"). He blames God. The song itself ends with the truth of God being pushed back, denied (Romans 1:18) and man exalting himself. By the end of the the album the character has accepted this path, lusted for power to become his own god and convinced himself of his own deity, which is swallowed in the darkness of his own creation. 

Of course I could be way off.  Laughing

Corridor:

But the light from the holy response is too bright 
and I will not see my own glory eclipsed 
nor my shame come into visible spectrum 
nor acknowledge my monstrosity as having been witnessed. 

I AM NOT. 
Who are You to reveal this truth of myself? 
Did You not put this pit before me? 
Anyone but I am guilty. 

Oh, how I long for You in the pit of my soul, 
but my mouth fills with bile 
in the glory of Your presence. 

Yes, my hands still clench the fetish 
that I fashioned from amorous matter 
into my own refection 
in the midst of internal darkness. 
You see it. 

And I can see the corridor before me 
extending away, 
my own life fading 
and love abandoned. 
But no, no, no! 
I will not. 

Reject that thought. 
Not Your way. 

I close my eyes and grind my teeth. 
When I look again, 
let the sight be gone 
and my own kingdom coming. 
Let only internal projections 
be reflected in the faces 
and the objects I see before me. 

I AM GOD. 
NAUGHT ELSE IS. 
Remove all greatness 
so the small can be great. 
Blind all eyes 
so they think I am king. 
Block out light; 
let my impotence be hidden. 
Destroy all minds 
so the fool seems a sage. 
Spread false hope 
that allegiance is rewarded. 
Magnify my weakness 
until it breeds fear.
Frozen Fire
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Seems like a good interpretation to me!  Interesting lyrics, but I'm amazed you put in the time.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:43 am

I'd be surprised if this was still a Christian band.

Temple of Blood
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elManique on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:48 am

Here's a post-release interview with the guitarist;

https://addergebroed.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/addergebroed-interview-lo-ruhamah-english.pdf

They don't claim to be a Christian band but they don't reject it outright either.

Relevant quotes;

There’s not really a driving “philosophy” behind “The glory of God”. That whole album was simply rooted in our spiritual experiences and was a cathartic way for us to exorcise a lot of things that were heavily weighing on us at the time. We’re all in pretty different places a decade later as we’ve all changed and grown as people. Our thoughts, questions, and priorities today don’t match what they were during that time, but I know we all stand behind that album and are very glad to have had the opportunity to make it.

[Anointing's] lyrical themes [are]: the dissolution of reason and the human mind, enlightenment, desperation, self-destruction, will, visionary experiences, cosmic ruination, and the lines between humanity and divinity.

For me, the debut was [...] sprawling lyrics about the vastness of the universe and our place in it, our relationship to the Ultimate, etc. This new album [...] to me it communicates visionary experience and religious ecstasy, but caught in a hazy swirl of hallucinogenic pharmakeia. It’s frantic and immediate. The first album is pensive, and this one is unsettling.

Not wishing to be hard on them, but in some way I have higher standard for Christian-based bands than secular ones.
elManique
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by elManique on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am

Angry Metal Guy has a review that's spot-on in my opinion;

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/lo-ruhamah-anointing-review

Lo-Ruhamah felt like one of those rare Christian bands with enough character and identity to stand amongst bands in the general market. In that respect Anointing is a step backwards into genericism, but hey it's still quality stuff.

P.S. In searching for these I note the album is spelled with a single n "Anointing"
elManique
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:57 am

How can they be characterized as a Christian band if there is no driving philosophy behind their music?  Christianity is a philosophy.  It defies logic.

Temple of Blood
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 1620 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Perhaps this is only because I've been reading 1st Samuel, but this seems to describe the fall of Saul quite well. The Davidic epic is great fodder for songwriters.

mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:37 pm

For me, lyrics are critically important. When bands have questionable content or I can't tell if they've veered from the faith it causes me to dig. Sometimes I dig and they're apostate, other times they've just become more subtle or just changed their approach. I wanted to like and listen to this album but I had such a hard time finding value in the lyrics. I felt like I had to dig and give them the benefit of the doubt. Even diving in I haven't found a great reason to listen to this. If my interpretation is correct I can appreciate the view, especially with the more prevalent atheistic bend to our culture these days but it still doesn't do much for me.

Maybe that sounds foolish but when I'm not edified or moved by the lyrics in any way I tend to not have a heart for the music either.

I will say it's highly philosophical though. To me it's extremely deep! When I was digging I found that the lead vocalist Jonathan is a PhD student in philosophy. I think sometimes people get in their own head with that. This album, lyrically, sounds like that.
Frozen Fire
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum