Stryper "God Damn Evil" pre-order now

Go down

Stryper "God Damn Evil" pre-order now

Post by bodachi on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Several packages available: gold colored vinyl, t-shirts, autographed cd's...
It's enough to make Joshua Peraiah a Muslim
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Re: Stryper "God Damn Evil" pre-order now

Post by TMLMKE on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Ordered the CD and shirt package. Rockin Loud
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Link please
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Erasmus on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Erasmus
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:12 am

bodachi wrote:It's enough to make Joshua Peraiah a Muslim

lol! lol! lol!
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
bodachi wrote:It's enough to make Joshua Peraiah a Muslim

lol! lol! lol!

I got a serious chuckle out of that one too.,  Laughing
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:30 am

Follower of Jesus, you had to bring that up didn't you, lololol! I must admit my initial reaction was laughter when I saw your post. I'm staying neutral where I'm a fan of both bands and have respect for both. Lets move on and discuss the new Stryper album.
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:16 am

Dang yellow vinyl sold out the first day.
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Soldier777 wrote:Follower of Jesus, you had to bring that up didn't you, lololol! I must admit my initial reaction was laughter when I saw your post. I'm staying neutral where I'm a fan of both bands and have respect for both. Lets move on and discuss the new Stryper album.
Dude, I just laughed. I didn’t bring up Joshua, but I thought it was hilarious!
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 pm

My apologies, bodachi brought it up. My mistake. Very Happy
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:29 am

Gonna order a CD for sure, but come on! That is literally the most boring T-shirt I could imagine for Stryper!

I mean its not like Im expecting some epic art like Impending Doom or Antestor

but the least they could do is have more than one option, like maybe the album art, or a long sleeve Neutral
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:42 am

For those who know that Joshua Perahia was jewish before he became a christian, it is certainly fun!!
I am also a fan of both bands, but what can I say? It was fun.
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:Gonna order a CD for sure, but come on! That is literally the most boring T-shirt I could imagine for Stryper!

but the least they could do is have more than one option, like maybe the album art, or a long sleeve Neutral

I think it's supposed to be a nod to the old-school style concert jerseys.  Simple logo on a baseball jersey.  There were a ton of those in the 80's
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Hardcore Christian wrote:Gonna order a CD for sure, but come on! That is literally the most boring T-shirt I could imagine for Stryper!

I think it's supposed to be a nod to the old-school style concert jerseys.  Simple logo on a baseball jersey.  There were a ton of those in the 80's
Ok ok I can respect the throwback still, wish there were more designs Smile
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 pm

I would love a t-shirt with this new album design.
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by LexMetalis on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 pm

My review to the new Stryper album:

Stryper - “God Damn Evil” (2018)

For fans of: Judas Priest, Dokken, Sweet & Lynch, Accept

Score: 9.5

One of the greatest metal workaholics of recent times is called Michael Sweet. In 5 years he has released 8 albums between the Sweet and Lynch project, solo career, Stryper and, without showing signs of fatigue or fatigue, there is already one more item for the list, “God Damn Evil”. Whether it was for his title that caused much controversy between a more conservative portion of his religious fans, or for the (new) split with now-ex-bassist Tim Gaines and all the fret this has caused, this was a long-awaited album.

It's not much of a secret that Michael wants to get away from that sweet, fruity past of the '80s, treading heavier, more cadenced paths. A proof that this looks like a track with no back to the band already comes in the opening range. “Take It To The Cross” is reminiscent of “Children Of The Grave” in its structure until it reach the chorus that you can decide if it is something more about Rob Haldford or the Detonator of Massacration, you just can not deny that it was surprising. By the way, speaking in surprise, who would have thought Stryper would have guttural in some of his music? It happened at the end of the song already quoted and is a courtesy of Matt Blanchard (Act Of Defiance, Shadows Fall).

One of the specialties of the band is to make choruses that cause goosebumps in their listeners and already activate that thought of “I need to sing it”. “Sorry” is one of those examples, with its good radiophonic chorus. “Own Up” is also contagious and the use of cowbell married very well.

To those who, like me, were curious about how Perry Richardson (FireHouse) was going to play with Stryper, it is disappointing to know that the musician didn’t record the bass lines, this task ended up being in charge of John O'Boyle, who accompanies Michael Sweet in his solo career. But the but the musician was up to the task with excellent lines, including having the instrument well featured in the track “Lost”.

In a general context, it is easy to assimilate that the new Stryper proposal are cadenced compositions that still retain their peculiarities, not sounding like carbon copies of each other. “God Damn Evil” is more hard, while “The Valley” brings an influence of “Heaven and Hell”, especially by bass inspired by Geezer Buttler.

Who expected a sequel to “No More Hell To Pay” and “Fallen” (fueled mainly by the similarity of cover elements) will find independent and differentiated work. We still have a superb Oz Fox on the 6 strings, treating his guitar as a true gentleman, a correct Robert Sweet as the timer he is known as. About Michael Sweet, what to say? Singing as never before, knowing how to shape his main instrument of work so as not to be so harmed over the years.

Unlike most of the material featured in “God Damn Evil”, the track “The Devil Does not Lies Here” has nothing in common, on the contrary. It is not a “More Than a Man” or “The Reign”, but it's a beautiful song and worthily enclosing this album.

About production, I may be being fooled by my memory, but I can‘t remember a work from them with bass so prominently. Would this be a scoff to the former owner of the post (laughs)? Because of this, the guitars do not appear to be so focused, losing some of the brilliance, but they are still there, firm and strong.

“Marllon, what about the ballads? Have or not?” Yes, dear reader, and although not as striking as the others already made in the discography of the band, “Can not Live Without Your Love” marks territory in the field of melodic music but without being so mellow, giving that chance to a nice dance with your half.

Being very straightforward and honest with you, “God Damn Evil” can hardly be said to be a Stryper job, but at the same time you know it's something that has the signature and DNA of the beggars. More work of excellence walking into the future on the road paved by learning from the past.

Márllon Matos

- - -

Original link (write in portuguese):

http://metalnalata.com.br/site/stryper-god-damn-evil-2018/
LexMetalis
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to hear it.
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:23 am

I still am uncomfortable with the title and probably won't be showing a lot of people the album cover, but I do have this preordered through Amazon.  It was cheaper than going through the band.  Sorry.....
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to get this album or not.  I mean, what I've heard has been good, but I've just discovered I'm not really much of a fan anymore and I'd rather save my money for something I'm really looking forward to.
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Got this today, sounds way better on cd... it’s starting to grow on me!!!
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:58 pm

The production is absolutely amazing! It has some serious heft and the bend toward more "tough" than speedy riffing gives a lot of these songs some real weight. Songwriting seems pretty solid. I'm hoping more songs standout as I absorb it though. The pace gets kind of samey through the middle. As I absorb the songs I think it'll get better.
Frozen Fire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 pm

They're sure pushing this album hard, i've been seeing ads for it before youtube videos, even ones that have nothing to do with music.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:20 am

I've listened to some tracks on Youtube I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to buy an album with a couple solid tunes and the rest was filler NMHTP was like that for me then Fallen was pretty solid. The title track of the new album for all it's divisive nature just didn't do anything for me I was expecting it to be as bombastic as THWTD with all the over blown pr around it but it was just meh still though the rest of the songs sound great and melodic but meaty and cant wait for payday
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:50 pm

So far after 3 spins, I got to say honestly, that Take It To the Cross feels so out of place when compared to the rest of the album

Sorry and Lost are a great pair of album openers, I gotta say my favorite songs are the title track and You Don't Even Know Me.

The Valley is a great song as well, Sea of Thieves is sub-par when compared to the rest of the album, Beautiful is a solid song, Can't Live is the obligatory slow song, that I enjoyed more then the last 2 albums slower songs

And then the 2 closers are also standout tracks for me

MS does some incredible vocals, and the production is definitely a highlight (and as has been mentioned, funnily enough the bass is way more prominent than any other Stryper album)
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:01 am

I kinda feel like this one is being overrated a bit. I found much of the album to be boring. People, including my son, are talking about "The Valley"...I think this song is meh. There are some good songs on here, sure, but to me it is definitely a step down from the last two albums, owing almost entirely to songwriting. The performances and production are solid. I just think the songwriting is suffering at this point. The songs are written and recorded too hastily without enough work and rework to hone them. Just my opinion. I like a few songs, but I'd give this only 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:I kinda feel like this one is being overrated a bit. I found much of the album to be boring. People, including my son, are talking about "The Valley"...I think this song is meh. There are some good songs on here, sure, but to me it is definitely a step down from the last two albums, owing almost entirely to songwriting. The performances and production are solid. I just think the songwriting is suffering at this point. The songs are written and recorded too hastily without enough work and rework to hone them. Just my opinion. I like a few songs, but I'd give this only 2.5 out of 5 stars.
I agree, at least for me compared to NMHTP it has a quite a bit more filler tracks

But I have already listened to this album more times through then Fallen, other than the first few songs on there I never listened to any of the songs more than twice

So at this point I would say it easily passes Fallen for me
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:I kinda feel like this one is being overrated a bit. I found much of the album to be boring. People, including my son, are talking about "The Valley"...I think this song is meh. There are some good songs on here, sure, but to me it is definitely a step down from the last two albums, owing almost entirely to songwriting. The performances and production are solid. I just think the songwriting is suffering at this point. The songs are written and recorded too hastily without enough work and rework to hone them. Just my opinion. I like a few songs, but I'd give this only 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Agreed.

I still boldly say Take It to the Cross was a good song, and I would even go as far as saying that's the only song in the album that was above average.
The other singles left me pretty cold. The chorus on The Valley reminds me too much of the chorus of Sorry. And neither of them are anything special. I think Lost was the best after Take It to the Cross.

The rest of the album was something I forgot very quickly after listening. While No More Hell to Pay had a killer hook in almost every single song, most of the songs in God Damn Evil had none. Especially the title track was a disappointment. Listening to this album felt quite like listening to Against the Law where most of the songs did nothing to me. At least the last three songs in Against the Law were something I could still put to some Top Stryper songs list, this album had none. When I'm listening to a modern Stryper album I'm expecting to hear at least one song that is as great as Te Amo or Yahweh. Sadly even with all the hype this album had zero songs like that. There are a few tracks I enjoy to listen more than the others, but those others are something I don't really have much interest to listen to again.

The musicianship is great and I love the bass guitar on this album, but sadly the songs are mostly just average. I think 2.5 out of 5 sounds accurate.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:10 pm

This album definitely has a bit of a different vibe to it. If I had to give that vibe a label it would be ... "let's rebuke Tim Gaines."

But to be serious. I'm mostly in agreement with many. Good, not great. Weak link here seems to be the writing. There's nothing I dislike ... but there's nothing I really love, which is unusual for me and a Stryper album.

Despite all that, I will be seeing them live in Malden MA in a couple weeks. I'm sure I'll enjoy. I haven't been to a Stryper show I haven't liked ... and I've seen them about 8 to 10 times.
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Just picked it up at the local CD store. After hearing a few times, I think it's a grower. My least favorite songs are Take It to the Cross and the slower songs Can't Get Enough and Beautiful, but I'm hearing them again there are still things to like. Well worth the buy if you guys can find it. I don't think it's as good as NMHTP and Fallen, but still a worthy addition. I already thought NMHTP would be difficult to match once, so no disappointment for me.

I think the t/t has rightfully been the focus of scrutiny. Musically, the song sounds a lot like "To Hell with the Devil", which is certainly no coincidence. I think the connection is clear: if we have no problem saying "to hell with the devil", why don't we ask God to damn the devil and his evil? Of course, it feels weird singing along. It is such a taboo combination of words, and I still avoid it to not get accustomed to it.

It has that distinctly Stryper anthemic, glam metal sound, which works okay, but considering the severity of the subject matter (reading the lyrics, it is clearly about damning the sin in our lives), I think it would have worked better with more stern sounding music like the heavy/doomy Valley. But it's not mine to change! I hope Stryper reaches people with the gospel message, even if the means of attracting attention are a bit questionable. The great thing is God uses flawed humans.
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Friday13th wrote:Just picked it up at the local CD store. After hearing a few times, I think it's a grower. My least favorite songs are Take It to the Cross and the slower songs Can't Get Enough and Beautiful, but I'm hearing them again there are still things to like. Well worth the buy if you guys can find it. I don't think it's as good as NMHTP and Fallen, but still a worthy addition. I already thought NMHTP would be difficult to match once, so no disappointment for me.
Exactly where I am at, those 3 tracks are weakest for me, and NMHTP is gonna be impossible to top IMO but still a really solid album
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Here's my top3 of the album:

1. Beautiful
2. Take It to the Cross
3. Lost

Those are the songs I enjoy listening over and over again.

The Devil Doesn't Live Here is promising and quite interesting as being "the fast track" of the album, but it doesn't quite go where I would like it to go.

You Don't Even Know Me sounds really interesting at first as it has this melancholic feel to it, but for some reason it loses its steam in choruses.

I kinda like the opening of Can't Live Without Your Love, but again it loses its grab during the chorus. I'm way more into songs written in minor chords than in major chords. That was something Michael Sweet said about No More Hell to Pay, that he had lots of minor chords and scales on purpose to have more edge to the songs. And that's probably why I love that album.

The sole reason I don't like the title track is that it sounds way too happy for my taste. It's really tough to write happy sounding rock riffs and melodies that I would like. It is possible - ZZ Top's Afterburner is one example of that.
This song gets immediately better during the solo where the riffs change into minor instead of major.

Anyway, Beautiful is really good after several listens. It's clearly the highlight of the album even though I don't think I would be able to call it a new Stryper classic - which, for example, Yahweh from Fallen is.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:54 pm

See, I think that’s part of my problem. NMHTP and Fallen both knocked me down the first time I heard them and I still enjoy them a lot today. I’ve listened through this one 3 times now and it just does nothing but sit there. Give me NMHTP, Water Into Wine, Sympathy, Yahweh, The Calling, or King of Kings over anything on GDE.
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire on Tue May 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Really enjoying this more! Been listening to Own Up the last few days. I love it when a track that hid away at first starts clicking! Sea of Thieves has gotten better as well. Beautiful is a solid track with a fantastic chorus with valuable meaning. The ballad, Can't Live Without Your Love is my favorite from the last three albums.  The back end of the album seemed weaker at first except "The Devil Doesn't Live Here" but now I've been enjoying it as much or more than the first half. Basically everything is cool now but two last sticking points.

My biggest issue remaining is the flow of the album. I can't figure out how to start it and listen beginning to end. That problem is caused by issue two, which is I still don't like Take It To The Cross and the near minute and a half of silence is a terrible way to begin. I've had a hard time getting into the track because the wait time doesn't meet a worthwhile payoff in the end. So, I keep starting the album with a skipped track and it's left everything feel off. Sorry isn't a great opener and it's not meant to be. So, I keep starting the album at different points to find a way to start the album. Tonight I put TITTC into a sound editor and cut the first minute off and faded in the 10-15 seconds before the song drops. I'm going to see how that helps.

Beyond all this I'm going to say, for musicality, this is by far the best Stryper album. The solos, the drumming, the amazing bass work are the best I've heard on any Stryper album thus far. That could be in part the production but I know the solos stand on their own. They're amazing! I've been really surprised by that.
Frozen Fire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Erasmus on Thu May 03, 2018 2:44 am

Professor_Valconian wrote:But to be serious. I'm mostly in agreement with many. Good, not great. Weak link here seems to be the writing. There's nothing I dislike ... but there's nothing I really love, which is unusual for me and a Stryper album.
This is exactly how I feel about this one. Only one song for me is memorable, "Sorry".

I'm really surprised by all the favourable reviews online. At this time after a few listens I would actually list this as least fav in my Stryper studio albums list.
Erasmus
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabbatharian on Thu May 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Thinking about going to see them this Sunday, haven't since 01.
Sabbatharian
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum