The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metal with pagan themes

+3
Kerrick
ImagoDei
Andreas89
7 posters

Go down

Metal with pagan themes Empty Metal with pagan themes

Post by Andreas89 Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 am

So I have been into this Dutch folk metal band, Heidevolk, for years. As you may know, most folk metal is pagan themed, and Heidevolk is no exception. At first I thought of it more as a gimmick, although I felt a bit uncomfortable about it. But then at some point, it became clear to me that it was not exactly playing around - one of the guys actually left the band to spend more time on paganism than he already did. And I'm meaning actual paganism, not the Elvenking type paganism, where paganism is more of a metaphor for "being a unique human being" (not a great metaphor, because paganism tends to make people more generic, but still...). Some songs by Heidevolk are actual worship songs for old pagan gods.

I was wondering if you guys listen to that kind of music at all? And if yes, how you "handle" that aspect?
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Metal with pagan themes Empty Re: Metal with pagan themes

Post by ImagoDei Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 pm

I listen to a lot of Viking bands. I read a lot of Norse mythology.  To me, the bands just seem fascinated with the old Norse tales, as am I. They're just stories, intellectual exercise, even. It is also a way to gain understanding of what the culture valued in personal and physical attributes, etc, that we can't necessarily gain from a more sterile academic angle. For example, in reading the Norse legends you can obviously see that the Vikings valued strength, bravery, victory, and hard work. They also held dear the beauty and wilderness of nature. There is nothing anti-Christian in the myths, and you don't see that until later on- and that is not so much of a Jesus hate thing as it is Christians came to our land and destroyed our heritage type of thing.  I am not familiar enough with the band in question to remark on them specifically.

ImagoDei
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:35 am

I used to listen to Borknagar and Vintersorg quite a bit - both of which sing primarily of pagan themes. Neither band has much of any anti-Christian sentiments, though after a while I felt convicted to stop listening to them. Both are very good bands but the worship of nature and false gods just doesn't sit well with me.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm

I handle the the same as I do when reading mythology or works by people of different relgions--I consider it another person's point of view and enjoy the artistry and storytelling.  Unless it sucks, then I turn it off.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:32 am

messiaen77 wrote:I handle the the same as I do when reading mythology or works by people of different relgions--I consider it another person's point of view and enjoy the artistry and storytelling.  Unless it sucks, then I turn it off.

Same. I have no personal conviction that it is wrong for me to listen to.

Back to top Go down

Post by 11razorwire Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:11 am

messiaen77 wrote:I handle the the same as I do when reading mythology or works by people of different relgions--I consider it another person's point of view and enjoy the artistry and storytelling.  Unless it sucks, then I turn it off.

Same here although I don't listen to a lot of it.
11razorwire
11razorwire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:13 am

Erasmus wrote:

Same. I have no personal conviction that it is wrong for me to listen to.
Agreed
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 am

For me I look at it as a history lesson that doesn't move me to worship little gods. Some of these band's play some of the most beautiful but intense and organic music I've ever heard. The singing style can be an issue for me at time's though.
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:29 am

The only band i listen to that has some pagan themes is Manowar, and yeah, the odes to "odin" dont really bother me (especially since I associate the norse gods with their Marvel comics versions, who have stated that they are not gods, at least in the movies). I basically take it as fantasy, just like books, movies, tv shows, games, and songs that talk about about the "power of magic".

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum