So... old Pyramaze and new Pyramaze

Go down

So... old Pyramaze and new Pyramaze

Post by Andreas89 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:18 am

Most of you probably know Pyramaze, because Lance King (their first singer) seems to be moving around the parameters of being a "christian artist". And you may also know that after their first three album, they almost broke up but made a comeback two years ago. I noticed something quite interesting lately. I have Legend of the Bone Carver and Immortal from their earlier period, and not a single song became memorable to me, not even after seven years.
But a few months ago I bought their latest offering (Contingent), because I liked some songs on youtube. And it's a difference between day and night to me. The first song already was way more interesting than anything I heard from their first period, and the rest isn't too shabby either. That's kind of weird, since most bands' best period is their first. For me, Pyramaze only got interesting after their comeback.

Any thoughts on this?
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Re: So... old Pyramaze and new Pyramaze

Post by exo on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:41 am

I'd actually break it down farther than "1st period" and "2nd period".  The 3rd album, Immortal, has Matt Barlow (formerly THE voice of Iced Earth) singing, and for me the band is an entirely different beast from the Lance King albums.  "Immortal" stands out to me because I am very familiar with a LOT of the subject matter outside of the band (Dragonlance worlds, Highlander, etc), and the album is very much in the same vein as Iced Earth's Horror Show, which I consider to be the penultimate Barlow I.E. album. It's almost like a "happier"'feeling sequel for me.  The stars were perfectly aligned for this disc, IMO.

I've not heard Contingent yet, but I felt like Pyramaze lost something absolutely vital to them when Michael Kammeyer left and Jonah took an even more significant role in the songrwriting.  Disciples of the Sun struck me as an album that a wannabe Scar Symmetry would put out, and the style shift struck me as significant enough to warrant a name change for the band.  I've only listened to it twice, though, because at the time, my thoughts were "if I wanted to listen to Scar Symmetry, I'll just listen to THEM because they do it 'right' ".  Maybe I need to give it a few more spins., AND listen to the newest....but to me "Pyramaze" for all intents and purposes died with Kammeyer's departure......

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:27 am

Immortal is the only one that has really stood out for me. Lance has never matched his BoP years imo.
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:56 am

I have Immortal and I barely play it (and I've read 9 Dragonlance novels). 

The first two have some classic songs, great songs, and good songs.  Not LK's best, but in the upper stratosphere.  Personally, I think Avian - Ashes and Madness is the best thing he's ever done.
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 am

exo wrote:I'd actually break it down farther than "1st period" and "2nd period".  The 3rd album, Immortal, has Matt Barlow (formerly THE voice of Iced Earth) singing, and for me the band is an entirely different beast from the Lance King albums.  "Immortal" stands out to me because I am very familiar with a LOT of the subject matter outside of the band (Dragonlance worlds, Highlander, etc), and the album is very much in the same vein as Iced Earth's Horror Show, which I consider to be the penultimate Barlow I.E. album. It's almost like a "happier"'feeling sequel for me.  The stars were perfectly aligned for this disc, IMO.

I've not heard Contingent yet, but I felt like Pyramaze lost something absolutely vital to them when Michael Kammeyer left and Jonah took an even more significant role in the songrwriting.  Disciples of the Sun struck me as an album that a wannabe Scar Symmetry would put out, and the style shift struck me as significant enough to warrant a name change for the band.  I've only listened to it twice, though, because at the time, my thoughts were "if I wanted to listen to Scar Symmetry, I'll just listen to THEM because they do it 'right' ".  Maybe I need to give it a few more spins., AND listen to the newest....but to me "Pyramaze" for all intents and purposes died with Kammeyer's departure......
Wow, that's such a different perspective on this band that it's hard to imagine we are talking about the same band here Razz

Anyway, the keyboards were exactly the main problem I had with first (and, OK, second) era Pyramaze. Normally I'm all for that, I'm a Euro power metal fan and I like my music flowery, but the atmosphere was just wrong, especially throughout LotBC. Immortal has some redeeming qualities, even though I'm not the biggest Barlow fan.
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:19 am

I think the band has it's best sound now. Contingent is, in my opinion, one of the better albums of 2017. I listen to it frequently. Disciples of the Sun also gets quite a bit of play from me. I haven't had much exposure to Immortal (I'll check it out some more) but I definitely like the newer albums more than the early ones.

I also don't get the comparison to Scar Symmetry.  It seems a bit like apples to oranges to me given that Pyramaze doesn't use growling vocals and Scar Symmetry uses them in almost every song.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jusma on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:31 pm

I didn't know they are still active. I really liked the first two albums, especially Legend of the Bone Carver. When I got Immortal, I lost interest. It wasn't the same without Lance. 

I didn't even know about Disciples of the Sun. I guess I'll check  out these two soon.
jusma
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:44 am

Always wanted to check this band out
Opeth3232
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down