Thoughts on Net Neutrality?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts on Net Neutrality?

Post by WildWorld on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:27 pm

So what are your thoughts on the whole Net Neutrality situation? From what I've heard it sounds like something that should be supported, is there any downside to the open internet that we dont know about?

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on Net Neutrality?

Post by MikeInFla on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:58 pm

No idea what it is. The more I learn, the less I know.
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:50 pm

metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am

If I owned an Internet Service Provider, then who is the government to say what services I have to provide to my customers? If a company wants to throttle bandwidth for certain types of traffic, or block specific content, is that not their right?
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:14 am

New Creation wrote:If I owned an Internet Service Provider, then who is the government to say what services I have to provide to my customers? If a company wants to throttle bandwidth for certain types of traffic, or block specific content, is that not their right?
The problem there is that you run the risk of ISPs blocking sites for petty reasons (like not liking the politics of a site owner).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:47 am

WildWorld wrote:
New Creation wrote:If I owned an Internet Service Provider, then who is the government to say what services I have to provide to my customers? If a company wants to throttle bandwidth for certain types of traffic, or block specific content, is that not their right?
The problem there is that you run the risk of ISPs blocking sites for petty reasons (like not liking the politics of a site owner).

If I own a discussion forum and host it on the internet for users to join and participate, do I not have the same ability? I can block liberals or conservatives at my whim. This should be supported, not hindered.
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ImagoDei on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Here are some interesting perspectives regarding the topic

ImagoDei
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 pm

New Creation wrote:
WildWorld wrote:

If I own a discussion forum and host it on the internet for users to join and participate, do I not have the same ability? I can block liberals or conservatives at my whim. This should be supported, not hindered.

But should AT&T be allowed to throttle users of Amazon Prime Video or Netflix because they own Directv?  If I pay for the service, then I should get the same service.  Why?  It is called competition.  If they are given the right to block what they don't want you to have, then I am going to leave my ISP and find someone who won't block what I want.  The whole concept of neutrality is what has grown the internet into the megalithic phenomenon that it has become.

I am paying for a certain amount of access to the world wide web.  I am not paying for an ISP to tell me what I am or am not allowed to have just based on what they own.  That also gives them too much power to begin to force a particular viewpoint down your throat.  If your ISP is owned by a super liberal company, they could also limit your access to sites that are conservative.  If your ISP is owned by a company that is anti-religion (and they are out there), then they could block your access to church sites, the CMR, anything to do with Christian music, etc.  Or, flip that to the other side.  If the company were super conservative, they could block your access to anything BUT Christian sites.

ISPs needs to stay neutral.  Individual websites, however, can promote a point of view and will draw whatever audience they can.  No one forces you to view or join a site that differs in viewpoints than you.  I see it like this:  I can spew anti-Christ rhetoric here and they can block me.  I can go to a Satanic forum and try to preach Jesus and they can block me.  They have an audience and can police their own site.  However, when you are the ISP and want to control what I can and can't see, that is when you have too much influence.

The net should be neutral.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:49 pm

alldat, would you support the government telling all all bakers that they have to bake cakes for homosexual weddings? Or do you support bakers being able to say no to causes they disagree with?
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:55 pm

New Creation wrote:alldat, would you support the government telling all all bakers that they have to bake cakes for homosexual weddings? Or do you support bakers being able to say no to causes they disagree with?

The better question Adam, would be do YOU support a water utility headed by an Muslim charging a significantly higher premium price for water delivery to a Christian household?  Or a gay man in charge of an electric service saying that they can only deliver 50 amp service toa church building?  Having access to homeschool resources throttled down to the point of unusability because Bill Gates is a proponent of common core?

ISPs at this point are far more akin to a utility service than they are any sort of small, private enterprise.  You're drawing the wrong parallel......

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Erasmus on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:19 pm

To Adam's point however this could be offset by market competition. If my ISP decided to restrict my access I would switch providers. It's a relatively open market.
Erasmus
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:54 pm

"Relatively" open.....maybe.  I live in a city with a population of approximately 51,000.  In my neighborhood, I have exactly the same number of (non dial up) ISP options as I have options for water, electric, and gas, and if you investigate nationwide, you'll find the same situation is pretty widespread:regional monopoly.  It's not as bad overall as tradtitional utlity service choices tend to be, but it's also FAR from resembling an honest "open market" situation.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Verbum Lux on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm definitely for Net Neutrality.  Alldat and Exo are absolutely right.  The days when the internet was a novelty or luxury are long, long gone.  ISP's are utility companies, like power or water companies.  The internet has not only become a part of individual lives, it's an large and very important part of the economy.

There is more at stake than just ISP's deciding to penalizing people with viewpoints they don't like.  While I agree that it's a risk and is certainly worrisome, I don't think that's what is really driving the push against Net Neutrality.  It's about GREED, plain and simple.  Alldat's example of AT&T throttling sites that compete with one of it's services is one concern.  Another is that ISP's would demand money from businesses or else they'd throttle them.  That might not be such a big deal for Amazon, but say you're a small business that relies on the internet for some or all of it's dealings.  You likely wouldn't be able to afford to keep up with big boys speedwise.  Not only that, but in order to have decent access for your business, you'd have to pony up to MULTIPLE ISPS.  Comcast, Spectrum, AT&T, Verizon, Etc. ..... they could all be demanding that you pay up or else.

As for competition, depending on where you live, there can be little or none.  It's not like going out to buy a t-shirt or a pair of shoes.  If say, Wal-Mart decides to jack up their prices on sneakers, I have many other options to purchase such an item.  Not so for internet access.  I live in a moderately large population center.  To the best of my knowledge, there are only two ISP's here that offer broadband internet (and let's face it, dial-up is irrelevant at this point).

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would oppose neutrality unless you have a major stake in an ISP, or are a hardcore laissez-faire capitalist that opposes any sort of government regulation of business whatsoever.
Verbum Lux
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Erasmus on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:07 am

Well I am surprised that the situation in the US is far removed from my options in Australia. I can choose between about 10 ISP's, all on Broadband (no dial up).

I do believe in Government regulation and a free market. Government regulation is required to prevent monopolies. In our case the Government requires that the provider of the infrastructure provide access to the internet lines to retailers for a nominal fee.

It was only 20yrs ago that we only had one option for our phone and internet and it was expensive. Now competition has provided better service for less money.
Erasmus
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:44 pm

I don't think ISPs should disallow content because "they don't like it", any more than a McDonald's should disallow people with green shirts because "they don't like them".

As for monopolies, my response to that is "git gud, scrub". May the company with the best service/merchandise at the most reasonable cost, win.
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:24 am

alldat, would you support the government telling all all bakers that they have to bake cakes for homosexual weddings? Or do you support bakers being able to say no to causes they disagree with?

I don't think they are even remotely the same.  As Exo said, most of us are limited with who we can use as ISPs have become little more than regional monopolies.  If they completely control the information you have available, then you are the mercy of their privately held indoctrination.  I only have two options for an ISP locally, and there is no competition.  They cost the same.  If they both limited what I could see, my only option would be to sign off.

As for the baker issue, I will swing at that.  I don't think they are the same.  Why?  Because there is always another baker out there.  If there isn't one locally, the next town over has one.  Catering companies will bake cakes, too.  You have options.  The only reason we are having this discussion is because a homosexual couple knew they would get denied so they could raise a ruckus in the media and force a lawsuit.  Rather than slowly work on legislation, the homosexual community wants full acceptance and participation NOW and will do whatever it takes to force you to comply.  

Actually, maybe it is more like the internet freedom.  Instead of looking at the baker being able to choose, their freedoms were taken away by someone forcing them to comply through the courts.  That is sort of what your ISPs would do if they are allowed to control what you can partake of online.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 am

One of the concerns with Net Neutrality is that ISPs will begin selling "packages" for different types of content. For example, if you want to be able to access streaming sites like youtube, Netflix, hulu etc, they can charge you a premium just to access the sites, this is before actually paying membships on the sites themselves.

Then they could charge you an additional premium for social sites, another premium for marketplace sites (amazon, ebay, etc).

Basically it would allow your internet browsing to become like Pay Per View
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Queue on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 am

De regulation allows for smaller companies to come onto the scene. Real competition arises. The mighty fall and the consumer wins. I follow the general rule that the government is not here to help. Everything they touch becomes very inefficient.  This is just my opinion....your mileage may vary.

Queue
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum