1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Wigeon on Tue May 30, 2017 2:08 pm

An old friend of mine just hooked me up with a VHS tape of this show we went to in San Antonio in 1993. I just reconnected with him after many years and had no idea this video existed. The quality is pretty decent. It starts with footage of Todd Stephens (of XL and DBD) and Greg Minier shooting pool before the show when a mullet-sporting teen with a Vengeance Rising shirt (yours truly) rudely interruptws Greg Minier for an autograph between shots. He was kind enough to oblige. I had no idea who XL was, or I would have asked for his autograph too. 
  
The video has a few clips of the opening act "Groove Land" which sounded just like The Black Crows, most if not every song from Mortal's set (awesome), one song from Applehead with Todd Stephens (XL), Jim Chaffin and Jeff Belew backing him, then they introduced XL and the same guys backed him along with Mark Soloman doing vocals on his verse during "Sodom and America", then a few songs from The Crucified. I mentioned this show in the "Most Memorable Show" thread a while back. It was definitely one of the most memorable, if not the most memorable show I got to see back in the day. 

Update: Here is the video. Quality is not great, gets out of focus during some of the Mortal show, but gets better after that.




Here is the concert flyer from the show. Applehead and XL where a pleasant surprise on the bill.


Last edited by Wigeon on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-05-15
Location : Austin, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by New Creation on Tue May 30, 2017 3:10 pm

I'd be most interested in this, especially since live Mortal footage is more rare than other bands!
avatar
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 992
Join date : 2016-04-19
Age : 43
Location : On top of the heavens

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by stevegarveyfan on Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Yeah, let's see this!
avatar
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 540
Join date : 2012-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Pershing1134 on Tue May 30, 2017 11:50 pm

Bring it!
avatar
Pershing1134
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 361
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 46
Location : Wenatchee, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by alldatndensum on Wed May 31, 2017 9:44 am

When you convert to digital, you should cut each band's segment into its own video.  That way, you don't have to keep advancing to skip what you don't want to see.

I'd like to see that opening band, Applehead, and XL & DBD but don't care about the others.
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4449
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 48
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by timekeeper on Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am

Uh, yeah!
avatar
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 885
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by crucifyd on Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 am

alldatndensum wrote:When you convert to digital, you should cut each band's segment into its own video.  That way, you don't have to keep advancing to skip what you don't want to see.

I'd like to see that opening band, Applehead, and XL & DBD but don't care about the others.


​don't care about The Crucified?!?!??!​

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
avatar
crucifyd
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 182
Join date : 2014-07-05
Age : 49
Location : the basement

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by alldatndensum on Wed May 31, 2017 4:29 pm

crucifyd wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:When you convert to digital, you should cut each band's segment into its own video.  That way, you don't have to keep advancing to skip what you don't want to see.

I'd like to see that opening band, Applehead, and XL & DBD but don't care about the others.


​don't care about The Crucified?!?!??!​

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked



Not in the least.  If you knew me very well, you'd know that I care little for bands of more extreme styles especially with the more abrasive style of vocals that typically go with it.  So, no Crucified for me!  Love me some Saint, Bride, Guardian, and Whitecross, though!
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4449
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 48
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by crucifyd on Wed May 31, 2017 7:26 pm

yeah alldat, I do know that about you... just getting a little jab in... Very Happy

they're just one of my favorites
avatar
crucifyd
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 182
Join date : 2014-07-05
Age : 49
Location : the basement

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Kerrick on Wed May 31, 2017 7:39 pm

crucifyd wrote:yeah alldat, I do know that about you... just getting a little jab in... Very Happy

they're just one of my favorites

Ya don't say!  Razz

_________________
Job 3:2
avatar
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Posts : 7539
Join date : 2012-06-26
Age : 30
Location : Santa Cruz, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Wigeon on Wed May 31, 2017 11:24 pm

Capturing from VHS to my PC now. Will upload entire show to YouTube later tonight or tomorrow and post link here. Sorry, you'll have to skip past the stuff you don't like. One of these days if I have free time I'll split into separate videos. If you are in to drumming, you should really watch the Crucified footage. My buddy who took the video was a drummer so he focused on Jim Chaffin a lot. He is amazing! I've never really been a big fan of drumming and rarely notice the drumming much less differences between drummers, but Jim just seems to be on another level and does some amazing things.
avatar
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-05-15
Location : Austin, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Wigeon on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:59 am

Enjoy. 


Last edited by Wigeon on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-05-15
Location : Austin, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by jeffcorpse on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:13 am

Thanks for putting this up!
avatar
jeffcorpse
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 107
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Troublezone on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks
avatar
Troublezone
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 45
Join date : 2012-06-17

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by New Creation on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 pm

This is great stuff!
avatar
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 992
Join date : 2016-04-19
Age : 43
Location : On top of the heavens

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Wigeon on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:25 am

Glad you guys enjoyed it. The video quality and focus seems to get better throughout the show. I'm guessing this is rare footage of Applehead and XL, as they were both short-lived projects and I couldn't find much out there. From what I hear it may be rare footage of Mortal too. I'll work on separating the shows into different vids and try to share with the band members soon.
avatar
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-05-15
Location : Austin, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by New Creation on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 am

I already shared it with Mark Salomon, I think it's going to move fast.
avatar
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 992
Join date : 2016-04-19
Age : 43
Location : On top of the heavens

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Wigeon on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 am

New Creation wrote:I already shared it with Mark Salomon, I think it's going to move fast.
Cool. Any feedback from him?
avatar
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-05-15
Location : Austin, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by timekeeper on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 am

Love the Applehead footage, thanks!
avatar
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 885
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Wigeon on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:27 pm

I broke then up into separate videos.

  





 



avatar
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-05-15
Location : Austin, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Superjuice on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:29 am

Sure beats a Fold Zandura show..
avatar
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1400
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Wigeon on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 am

Superjuice wrote:Sure beats a Fold Zandura show..
I enjoyed Fold Zandura's music and saw them play live 2-3 times along with Stavesacre in the mid-90s. I have to agree with you, both bands pale in comparison to their former incarnations and the energy of this show.
avatar
Wigeon
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-05-15
Location : Austin, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Nyx74 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Great video to watch, thanks for sharing! Just shared it with Todd Stevens (XL) and he freaked out! LOL
avatar
Nyx74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 525
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 concert footage of The Crucified, Mortal, Applehead, XL and DBD

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum