Do You Curse In Prayer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by elparanorman on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:17 am

There are a lot of things I seriously hate or hated about myself in the past. Every single time I bring it up when talking to the Lord, I always get really heated. Not to God but to myself. I remember back in the day when I would ignore people and never help others who needed it because I was way too addicted to videogames to progress in life. I look at that guy and my blood just starts to boil. I always ask God for forgiveness but I can't bring myself to forgive myself for the past. It may sound minor but, it really isn't. I think of that guy as a horrible person. Antisocial piece of crap who thought he was better than everyone and smarter than everyone. It took me years to find my first job and learn what it was to sweat for your money. In fact, I am STILL trying to make up for lost time since there are still things I haven't achieved that anybody else achieved yeeeeaars ago. I always grew up knowing that I should never speak to God in such a manner but, I know he can see how angry I am at myself and it is so hard to control that. Thing is, it only happens when I pray to Him and bring up that time in my life because I KNOW that I have so much to make up for and should ask so many people for forgiveness. Do you guys think God still hears me when my prayer takes a turn for the worst? I don't know how to get over it.
avatar
elparanorman
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 786
Join date : 2014-02-18
Age : 29
Location : San Francisco

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by Andreas89 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:30 am

To answer your question: no, I do not curse in prayer. I think that's pretty rare actually. But even though cursing is not good, I do not think that God stops listening as soon as you start cursing.

I really understand what you're going through, at least to some extent. When I read about your resentment of your former self, it's like reading my own thoughts. But here's one thing to keep in mind: God's mercy is infinitely greater than all evil things you could have done, combined. So my advice would be: stop looking at yourself (or your former self), and look at Him who made a full pardon for everything you have done.

Of course this thought is not a formula to make your negative feelings magically disappear; it's something to hold on to throughout your life. Trust me, you will get better.
avatar
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 530
Join date : 2016-03-09
Age : 27
Location : Potsdam, Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by crucifyd on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 am

First off I understand being hung up on past sins, I am an expert in that myself.

It seems to me that what you are really asking is "how do I forgive myself"?

I would suggest that you don't need to "forgive yourself" because there is no biblical concept of doing so. Only God can forgive you and pardon your sin.

By being angry at yourself for past sin that (I assume) you have already confessed and been forgiven for by God, you are basically saying that the sacrifice of Christ for YOUR sin is not good enough. You must pay for it or help pay for it to "make it right". This is where I really get hung up and I think it is common to everyone to some degree. God's economy just doesn't sit right with us. Basically, getting of scot-free is not right, someone has to pay for that sin, so we want to help. Of course, the problem there is that nothing we can do will ever make it right and Christ has already payed that penalty for the truly regenerate.

"Forgiving yourself" is law talk and Romans tells us about the law "For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin." The law is doing it's job by condemning you for your sin. It seems that you are focusing on the law (I do this alot) and need to focus on the Gospel and the forgiveness you have in Christ.

I think this is a bigger issue than whether you curse while praying and if you focus on Christ it will, over time, take care of that issue as well...


Last edited by crucifyd on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
crucifyd
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 144
Join date : 2014-07-05
Age : 49
Location : the basement

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by ImagoDei on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 am

I don't think that curse words are inherently bad, and they are made up by man. For whatever reason, one word for poop is ok but another isn't, etc. it's semantic nitpicking and a childish way to find offense in something that otherwise means nothing. Now, I don't go around cursing because most society has drank the Kool-aid on this one and finds offense. But no, I don't think God gasps in shock and awe at a word that people have, for no good reason, called "bad."

ImagoDei
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 47
Join date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by elparanorman on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:21 am

Guys, I was avoiding this thread yesterday because I didn't know if I ever wanted to open it again but, I'm glad I did.

Crucifyd, thanks for your reply. It was the one I felt was the most meaningful that reached a deeper area of this topic that I wasn't even aware of. I don't know if I ever want to forgive myself for being the person I was. It's just that, every time I look back at that time and all the times my parents, grandma, friends, needed me, I would emotionally shut them out and even thought they were an inconvenience when they would try to just get me out of my bedroom. Like, who the hell did I think I was? They were over here paying the bills, feeding me, making sure I was warm at night and I was giving nothing in return. I can't just simply accept forgiveness like that and it even eats me that the gospel says that I am already forgiven. I feel like I have to ask God for forgiveness every night and sometimes it even brings me to the point where I can't bring myself to kneel and talk to Him.
avatar
elparanorman
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 786
Join date : 2014-02-18
Age : 29
Location : San Francisco

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 am

Curse in prayers - you mean profanity?

"Bad words" are a human construct. They're a cultural phenomenon, and because they're cultural, they're not universal.

God is not a delicate little flower that gasps if you say them. What children don't get mad at their parent(s)?

I'd say its much MUCH better to use colorful language in praying to God, than to not pray to Him at all...
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1574
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by messiaen77 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:28 am

ThomasEversole wrote:Curse in prayers - you mean profanity?

"Bad words" are a human construct.  They're a cultural phenomenon, and because they're cultural, they're not universal.

God is not a delicate little flower that gasps if you say them.  What children don't get mad at their parent(s)?

I'd say its much MUCH better to use colorful language in praying to God, than to not pray to Him at all...
Yep, that's pretty much my take as well.  I've gone through stretches when I've even cursed AT God while praying.  It's not something I'm proud of, and just as if I'd talked to someone physical in that way, I've apologized afterward.  There's no point in being less than honest with God, and that was honestly what I was feeling at the time.
avatar
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3250
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 46
Location : hiding in the bushes

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by alldatndensum on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:Curse in prayers - you mean profanity?

"Bad words" are a human construct.  They're a cultural phenomenon, and because they're cultural, they're not universal.

God is not a delicate little flower that gasps if you say them.  What children don't get mad at their parent(s)?

I'd say its much MUCH better to use colorful language in praying to God, than to not pray to Him at all...


To add to what Thomas has said, even Jesus said that He wishes we were either hot or cold.  He wants us to worship in spirit and in truth.  That means letting our guards down and telling the Lord exactly how we are feeling.  As already stated, our swear words have been given power by our own humanity and culture.  They mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.  However, they do work to express intense feelings when we are going through things.  Just think more about are you being real with God when praying or are you holding back?  Trust me--the Lord can take whatever you need to dish out.  Your words don't sting as bad as Calvary did, and look how He handled that.

My point?  Just pray and be real.  It is what God wants from us.  Thank you, Father, for listening even when our words could be better but not caring about that.  You simply want to hear from your children with honesty.
avatar
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 4188
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 47
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by Professor_Valconian on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Take comfort in knowing 100% for certain that if you are God's child, he has forgiven ALL of your sins. He has chosen to not even remember them (if that's possible for an omniscient being). If you are not able to forgive yourself, you are in conflict with how God sees you. Accept his love and forgiveness, and try to view yourself as he views you. 

Something else to think about ... is what you used to be (what we all used to be) worse than Saul of Tarsus before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus? My guess is no, it was never your goal to track down Christians, bring them to court, and try to get the death penalty imposed. After Paul was saved, he acknowledged what he used to be, but didn't dwell on it, doubt God's love for him, or let it derail him from pressing on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. We should all imitate Paul in this respect.

Psalm 103:11-14
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
    so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
    so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
As a father shows compassion to his children,
    so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
For he knows our frame;
    he remembers that we are dust.
avatar
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 505
Join date : 2013-10-24
Age : 49
Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by Driven on Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am

One of the most honest and beautiful prayers I've heard was from a woman who was deeply hurt, on many levels, by her husband. She used several Quebec/Catholic swear words (which take the elements and utensils of the Catholic church and use them as swearing) in her prayer, but she was more open and broken before God than I would venture many Christians are. She used the words she had to express her deep pain before God. Were they good words? No. But was she open before God? As far as I can tell, yes.

I'd also say that those words give us an opportunity to ask God to help us with them.
avatar
Driven
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3260
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 100
Location : Estrie

http://danielbandfan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by stringfellow_hawke on Tue May 16, 2017 11:53 am

alldatndensum wrote:
ThomasEversole wrote:Curse in prayers - you mean profanity?

"Bad words" are a human construct.  They're a cultural phenomenon, and because they're cultural, they're not universal.

God is not a delicate little flower that gasps if you say them.  What children don't get mad at their parent(s)?

I'd say its much MUCH better to use colorful language in praying to God, than to not pray to Him at all...


To add to what Thomas has said, even Jesus said that He wishes we were either hot or cold.  He wants us to worship in spirit and in truth.  That means letting our guards down and telling the Lord exactly how we are feeling.  As already stated, our swear words have been given power by our own humanity and culture.  They mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.  However, they do work to express intense feelings when we are going through things.  Just think more about are you being real with God when praying or are you holding back?  Trust me--the Lord can take whatever you need to dish out.  Your words don't sting as bad as Calvary did, and look how He handled that.

My point?  Just pray and be real.  It is what God wants from us.  Thank you, Father, for listening even when our words could be better but not caring about that.  You simply want to hear from your children with honesty.

Just be honest with both yourself and God.  The best way to do it.  He already knows what you're thinking anyway.  Some people are hard to pray for (for me.)  I always acknowledge that while I do not really feel like they deserve anything, I know He wants me to pray for them.  And because He does, I do.
avatar
stringfellow_hawke
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 71
Join date : 2017-05-10
Age : 31
Location : West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by Markus1987 on Tue May 16, 2017 3:42 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:"Bad words" are a human construct.  They're a cultural phenomenon, and because they're cultural, they're not universal.

God is not a delicate little flower that gasps if you say them.  What children don't get mad at their parent(s)?

I'd say its much MUCH better to use colorful language in praying to God, than to not pray to Him at all...
Well said, bro. The past few weeks of my life have been pretty low. You know... all the mental strength have been gone. So I've found myself to use very colorful language when I pray.

As said before, God already knows what we are thinking, so there's no reason to hide anything.
avatar
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 237
Join date : 2012-03-21
Age : 30
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Tue May 16, 2017 3:55 pm

The good thing is, is that we aren't the same person that we was. In Christ we are a new creation, and we've been reborn in Him. I don't curse in prayer, but I also don't believe God, Who already knows what your thinking, is going to shut you out if you do. God has to reveal things within our heart in order to heal past scars, and I believe He's going to heal your past scars as well.
avatar
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 209
Join date : 2016-12-22
Age : 18
Location : It's a mystery...

Back to top Go down

Re: Do You Curse In Prayer?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum