Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:43 am

MOD EDIT: TOPIC SPLIT FROM THE OPEN THEISM THREAD.

Andreas89 wrote:
There's not much to be gained by holding the view of open theism.

There's not much to be gained by not holding the view either.  Its not like it equates more crowns in heaven, or the trip to eternal bliss will be first class instead of coach like everyone else.  Actually, fighting about it (or anything else that has NOTHING to do with the fact that we're SAVED) is in fact LOSING ground.  (the antithesis of gains)

Anyone could go through all of my posts and every time I've "got mouth" in a thread, has NOTHING to do with what someone believes or doesn't believe.  100% of the time, its because someone under John Gabriel's "Greater Internet @#$%wad Theory".  (which says that when a normal person is allowed anonymity and an audience, they lose social inhibitions and act inappropriately.) says "I'm right.  You're wrong."  ...and the dead horse will still be beat by them even after its unrecognizable blood and bone fragments in the pavement.

This "online Christianity" thing is almost a complete joke, and I've been asking myself for weeks now, "why bother with it?".  Nothing is between a person and God anymore.  Its like think the way we think, or we're taking our boards and going back to what's left of the dead horse outside.

I could reference 1st Corinthians 1:10 and it would be thrown to the wind.  Every.  Single.  TIME.  I share something about myself, I get blasted for not already being cut from the same cloth.  It sucks.

I'm glad that the church I've been going to accepts me.  Sure, we disagree on some things, but they've got the RIGHT approach.  I'm saved and its NOT WORTH driving people away over something that isn't going to matter ONE BIT after we leave this earth.  They'll know we are Christians by our love, not our doctrine.


Last edited by Kerrick on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : split from Open Theism thread)
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1618
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

Post by Andreas89 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53 am

ThomasEversole wrote:
Andreas89 wrote:
There's not much to be gained by holding the view of open theism.

There's not much to be gained by not holding the view either.  Its not like it equates more crowns in heaven, or the trip to eternal bliss will be first class instead of coach like everyone else.  Actually, fighting about it (or anything else that has NOTHING to do with the fact that we're SAVED) is in fact LOSING ground.  (the antithesis of gains)
This exactly. I tried to get those things across, but the law student in me probably talked around it.

But I seriously think we can rise above that internet mentality. I always try to communicate on the internet as I would in real life. Those things are different though; on the internet I cannot be interrupted Wink
It is really hard though. But I try to go on the internet everyday while being ready to be insulted. It is sort of part of the internet experience, and the challenge is not to go along with it.
avatar
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 629
Join date : 2016-03-09
Age : 27
Location : Potsdam, Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

Post by d@v!d on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:26 pm

Andreas89 wrote:But I seriously think we can rise above that internet mentality. I always try to communicate on the internet as I would in real life.
I do too, but the differences are that here, at least, I hold back some on confronting personal issues and what I say is for everyone to read whereas my cynicism, sarcasm, and joking is only shared with those with whom I have a good rapport, my family and close friends. I don't talk this way to strangers or my boss. But I'm daring and push when I can. I resent the stifling social norms that don't allow issues to be addressed.
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3510
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:03 pm

d@v!d wrote:
I hold back some on confronting personal issues and what I say is for everyone to read whereas my cynicism, sarcasm, and joking is only shared with those with whom I have a good rapport, my family and close friends.

I disagree with that. If you object to me disagreeing, then my next post with be jogging your memory with an image of a creative looking box of tissues.

d@v!d wrote:I resent the stifling social norms that don't allow issues to be addressed.

I resent the stifling social norms that allow every issue to ALWAYS be on the table, irregardless of who's upset by it, who leaves the faith over it, etc. Online Christians take "I'm right, your wrong" to the level of being a flat out curse. You can't get away from it. You show up, it will meet you at the door. You'll be subjected to this burden until you conform or leave. Period.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1618
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

Post by d@v!d on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:14 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
d@v!d wrote:
I hold back some on confronting personal issues and what I say is for everyone to read whereas my cynicism, sarcasm, and joking is only shared with those with whom I have a good rapport, my family and close friends.

I disagree with that.  If you object to me disagreeing, then my next post with be jogging your memory with an image of a creative looking box of tissues.
Um, notice the word 'some' in my sentence. But if you are upset because I called you out for being acting like a hypocritical wimp, don't worry, I have more tissue boxes where the first came from. You front being so tough and yet a joke about a tissue box sends you over the edge. You just reinforced my point again. Toughen up. I'm not against you, I'm for you. But if you're going to act like a snowflake, I may just call it like I did. let em emphasis. I care about you. I'm not making fun of you just to make fun. I think you are a good guy, but you need to grow in this area.


d@v!d wrote:I resent the stifling social norms that don't allow issues to be addressed.

I resent the stifling social norms that allow every issue to ALWAYS be on the table, irregardless of who's upset by it, who leaves the faith over it, etc.  Online Christians take "I'm right, your wrong" to the level of being a flat out curse.  You can't get away from it.  You show up, it will meet you at the door.  You'll be subjected to this burden until you conform or leave.  Period.
You know if what you described were reality, I would resent it too, but it isn't. I certainly don't experience here it and I don't observe it occurring with anyone else on the forum either, you too. I think that you are confusing people disagreeing with you with some paranoid sense of persecution. Abre los ojos. Open your eyes. See what is real.

In reality, you ought to be grateful that people here care about you, care about you enough to pray for you, myself included, instead of complaining about an imaginary problem.
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3510
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:27 pm

d@v!d wrote:
Um, notice the word 'some' in my sentence.

Um, notice the word 'whereas' in your sentence after 'some'? Grab a dictionary bro. That word means CONTRAST to the previous point.

d@v!d wrote:But if you are upset because I called you out for being acting like a hypocritical wimp, don't worry, I have more tissue boxes where the first came from.

Actually, I'm more upset that you're an outright namecalling troll and the mods let it slide.

d@v!d wrote:
I'm not against you, I'm for you. But if you're going to act like a snowflake, I may just call it like I did. let em emphasis. I care about you. I'm not making fun of you just to make fun. I think you are a good guy, but you need to grow in this area.

You're not for me. You don't care about me. Someone who cares and is on my side doesn't respond with poison. You're a cancer here and the prime example why I resent "online Christians".

d@v!d wrote:
I think that you are confusing people disagreeing with you with some paranoid sense of persecution. Abre los ojos. Open your eyes. See what is real.

In reality, you ought to be grateful that people here care about you, care about you enough to pray for you, myself included, instead of complaining about an imaginary problem.

Its not really paranoia if people are really out to get you.

Why do I say that? You've laced your "I care" and "I'm for you" with patronizing insults, which is nothing more than a way to act Christian while still delivering poison.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1618
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

Post by Kerrick on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:31 pm

Ok, we're done here.  If you two want to hash this out, do it privately.

_________________
Job 3:2
avatar
Kerrick
Tyrant
Tyrant

Posts : 7406
Join date : 2012-06-26
Age : 30
Location : Santa Cruz, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Theology, Social Norms, etc.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum