Embarrassing Christian metal stories?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Embarrassing Christian metal stories?

Post by New Creation on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Anyone got any embarrassing Christian metal stories? I've got a few!

1. I was dating a girl back in the very early 1990s, I was around 17 years old. I remember making her a mix tape that had only one song on it, just looped over and over again on both sides. That song? "Love At Full Volume" by Barren Cross

2. Same time frame, we lived in a new neighborhood and the house next to us was still being built. I was 17 and off work one day and thought to myself, "Hey, construction workers love heavy metal!" So, I put in my Angelica "Walking in Faith" cassette and played it over and over for hours, pointed in their direction through an open window in the house. I thought to myself that they must be loving this! Until one of the big dudes came over to me after about 3 hours and very firmly told me to shut it off. I felt really stupid after that and hid in my bedroom until they left for the day.

3. My friend Keith Hoerig (former Five Iron Frenzy bassist) and I went to the Vengeance Rising/Deliverance concert and I spent the night at his house. Well, at the concert, I hurt my lower back in the most pit (in fact, it still hurts to this day), but I lied to my mom and told her that Keith and I had been wrestling at his house. See, I wasn't supposed to listen to anything more extreme than stuff like Carman or Steven Curtis Chapman.

OK, share your stuff guys.
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Re: Embarrassing Christian metal stories?

Post by jaydeecrawson on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm

one time I made flyers for my 'zine and handed them out at shows.

I misspelled "Christian" and actually left the "r" out of the word when I made the flyers.

Metal heads at the show were making fun of my flyers: "Look guys, a chistian 'zine!" I was mortified.

I *cringe* when I think of my immaturity and naivety at the time. That was about 20 years ago.

I live in despair over such ignorant choices I made years ago.

jaydeecrawson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:33 pm

^Considering the gravity of the crime of misspelling, I'd say you suffer justly.

Anyway, my two cents: before I was born again, I was pretty much against christian lyrics in metal. Somehow made me feel uncomfortable. Then I bought the Sinbreed debut album in 2010, and only later I realised that it had christian lyrics (the subsequent albums followed the path of lyrical mediocrity though). So I felt kind of stupid about that, but now I feel way more stupid about the fact  that I disliked christian lyrics.
Andreas89
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:45 pm

jaydeecrawson wrote:I live in despair over such ignorant choices I made years ago.

It's not so much an ignorant choice as it is an honest mistake. We all live with these hilariously overblown regrets from our younger years.
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 pm

I took a volunteer job distributing a Christian rock music zines to churches and record stores back in the day. I was given a list of places to go. One of the was a Mennonite congregation. In those days I had quite the counter culture appearance. I walked into the church office and the older middle aged secretary went pale, began to shudder and spoke with an admixture of timidity and disgust veiled in friendly helpful terms of engagement. She asked what she could help me with, I explained, and she called the pastor in who was a better actor and kindly shewed me away.
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 pm

d@v!d wrote:shewed

How King James of you! I'm sure the Mennonites are proud now.  Very Happy
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 am

I am pretty embarrassed with how I communicated on here, 3 years ago

I was 13 and barely typed out literate sentences Razz

How did you guys even put up with me? Embarassed

Was it weird having somebody so young on here?

To me if a new 13 year old showed up it would be pretty weird Shocked
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:48 am

Nah, dude, you weren't that bad.  Lots of us "old guys" have teens, or deal with them on a regular basis. Been dealing with the "13-16" age bracket for 8 years now in my own home.....

I don't really HAVE any embarrassing Christian Metal stories.  Most of my embarrassing youth stories are just everyday teenage stupidity.  Thank God I survived Laughing

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:13 am

Way back in 1990 or 1991, I was 16 or 17 and hanging out at the local AM station during EK's program, "Worship at Full Volume".

I saw a guy wearing a Believer t-shirt and promptly told him what I thought of the band, something like this:

"I like Believer's sound, but all the songs sound the same".

His response:  "I'm their drummer".

I think I still taste my boot 26 years later...
bodachi
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by pathogenics_cloned_twin83 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:41 am

I've been around since the days of the old TQT and Deliverance forums, then came over when this place was created circa 2002. As most of the other old timers can testify I was pretty wet behind the ears and did alot of childish things. Alot of experiences on these boards sort of left me bitter after awhile, so I drifted in and out for long periods of time. I'd like to think I've matured somewhat since those days...most of the time I just lurk now. I'm ten times the anti-social introvert I was then... Cool
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.facebook.com/#!/derrick.williams.5667

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:58 am

bodachi wrote:Way back in 1990 or 1991, I was 16 or 17 and hanging out at the local AM station during EK's program, "Worship at Full Volume".

I saw a guy wearing a Believer t-shirt and promptly told him what I thought of the band, something like this:

YIKES! Razz
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:40 pm

exo wrote:Nah, dude, you weren't that bad.  Lots of us "old guys" have teens, or deal with them on a regular basis. Been dealing with the "13-16" age bracket for 8 years now in my own home.....

I don't really HAVE any embarrassing Christian Metal stories.  Most of my embarrassing youth stories are just everyday teenage stupidity.  Thank God I survived Laughing

Same here, have had teens forever and most of the stuff I did had nothing to do with Christian Metal. Only teenage stupidity. And it was FUN haha.
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:22 pm

11 yrs ago when I had just begun dating my wife (4-5 months) I had a surprise romantic date planned with a candle-lit pavilion with roses planned at the end of a snowy December evening. As I left the car to light the candles with her still in the car the cd changer switched from a soft piano based ballad from Michael Bublé (one of her favorites back then, a Sinatra style singer) to Petra "Beyond Belief" which starts with Armed and Dangerous, a fairly heavy Petra track with shouting right from the first moment. Only the beginning of the awkward dating of a metalhead...

All these years later we're married, have three kids and death/black metal gets played in our house on a regular basis. She knew what she was getting into from the beginning. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:50 pm

bodachi wrote:Way back in 1990 or 1991, I was 16 or 17 and hanging out at the local AM station during EK's program, "Worship at Full Volume".

Good one!
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ImagoDei on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:36 pm

I used to not respect the fact that not everyone enjoyed extreme metal and would crank it around people who I knew hated it. Including old people. I was quite a metal elitist at one time. 

The first concert I took my girlfriend (now wife) to was Cannibal Corpse. Ever since it's been trying to convince her that the next live band isn't that bad. George Fisher didn't do me any favors by shouting " I'm gonna make your penis bleed" as the crowd cheered before playing one song. But I've had to suffer my share of Train and The Frey concerts too. Don't get me wrong, they're talented, but sometimes I wish the second hand pot smoke would kick in.

ImagoDei
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:57 pm

ImagoDei wrote:I used to not respect the fact that not everyone enjoyed extreme metal and would crank it around people who I knew hated it. Including old people. I was quite a metal elitist at one time.

I venture that all of his have done this from time to time.
New Creation
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Not confirmed but still a rumor here in Germany
and a amusing story.

In the 1990es at one of these christian rock concerts where preaching an ministry was part of the show a famous musician out of the US spoke about Dietrich Bonhoeffer. The audience was magnetized listening to his speach. Most of them didn´t need a translator because people learn english in school.
But his words were translated into german.

The musician said very serious (nearly moved to tears): "And I think two weeks before world war ended, he (-Bonhoeffer-) died."

Translator in german: "And I think in two weeks will be the end of the world!"

The audience was laughing out loud as you can imagine
while the bandleader was bemused.
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:21 pm

pathogenics_cloned_twin83 wrote:I've been around since the days of the old TQT and Deliverance forums, then came over when this place was created circa 2002. As most of the other old timers can testify I was pretty wet behind the ears and did alot of childish things. Alot of experiences on these boards sort of left me bitter after awhile, so I drifted in and out for long periods of time. I'd like to think I've matured somewhat since those days...most of the time I just lurk now. I'm ten times the anti-social introvert I was then... Cool
Do you remember Krail McBean from the tourney boards?  I wonder what happened to that guy?

I doubt if you embarrassed yourself anymore than various members of Xian bands that posted on forums back in the day.
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 pm

In 1999-2000 I had a review website and Antestor's "Return of the Black Death" was one of the albums I reviewed.  While I gave the album a 10 out of 10, my points of critique had to do with the drumming on the album, which I thought was the weakest element of that release.

I saw Antestor play at Cornerstone in 2000 and got to meet those guys.  I enjoyed talking with the band.  One of the first things the drummer said to me was "You're the GRIM guy right?  With the reviews?" - I said yes.

The look he gave me and the "Ah...  I see..." told me everything.  It was obvious he'd read the review and didn't care for my opinion of his musicianship. 

There was about a minute or two of awkward silence as we stood there looking at each other before anyone said anything else.  (me with this face  Neutral and him with this face  scratch )

Might I also mention, I was a 19 year old blond haired kid with a short ponytail, while he looked twice my size and age, with long black hair.  He didn't talk to me for the rest of the time we were all at Cornerstone. 

The end.
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum