Open Theism

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by alldatndensum on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 pm

exo wrote:I've got a very similar outlook to Thomas on that front.  I ended up at those views simply because there is so much difference amongst many various theological viewpoints that ALL HAVE THEIR BELIEVERS BEARING OBVIOUS FRUIT.  The fact that some of that fruit might be apples and some are oranges is far, far less important than the fact that the garden overall is bearing fruit.  We're not told to go out and just farm apples.......

When you get down to it, MUCH of what passes for "theological debate", especially on an Internet forum that is not dedicated to it, amounts to little more than one person preferring Michael W. Smith praise and worship while someone else lectures them about how churches shouldn't have anything more than a piano and organ leading 120 year old hymns. Or that a "good Christian" should only be watching G rated films.  Or that my significantly longer than collar length hair and earrings means I'm somehow violating the OT admonishment about not appearing like a woman and thus in need of a spiritual intervention.  It's just an extension of those same thought patterns.

More than that, we oftentimes ONLY interact without our fellow forumites in online, with absolutely ZERO way of knowing how their beliefs actually fertilize their tree, and what fruit it bears in the "real world".

There is a LOT of acreage in the garden our trees are planted in.  Those planted around the outer edges of it are still part of it, and some people forget that "we" aren't the Master Gardener.

I've got to say that I agree with this as well.

Well, except for one thing, Exo.

lol!
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Laughing

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:55 pm

So if sin is in my heart because my hair is too long, what if I sport a skullet? (which is what would happen if I tried to grow my hair out now - friar tuck on top, massive hair on the sides)

Would my heart be sin free on top, but sin-ful on the sides? lol!

I do miss my long hair though - it was down to my lower back. I told my wife if her best friend can get breast implants, then I can get hair plugs or whatever procedure they do to give men hair on their heads again. She didn't object!

HAHAHA!!!
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Skullets are still sinful just simply because guys wearing them think they look good but are lying to themselves.  LoL
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am

and that's why I shave my head right now! HAHA!!
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:31 am

ThomasEversole wrote:My opinion, for what its worth, as long as someone 1) has Jesus Christ in their heart as their Lord and Savior and

Thanks Thomas. Ok, how about a follow up question for you or for anyone else who would care to answer ? Any deal breakers in regards to the beliefs about nature of God, the Christ or salvation ?
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 pm

I've seen a t-shirt that says, "If I'm told I need to find Jesus, does that mean He's hiding?" and there's a cartoon illustration of Jesus in a bunch of plants doing a shhhhhh with his finger.

The irony is, that Christ doesn't "hide" from us.  He's already knocking on the doors of our hearts, and has been all along.  All we need to do is let Him in so we can accept Him, as our Savior.

Now if encountered someone who believed that they had to DO something to be "saved", like be baptized (a church I went to as a kid believed this), or partake in communion, or whatever else...  I would disagree with that, but I wouldn't classify it as a "dealbreaker" as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian.

Lets say I encountered someone who was polytheistic.  They have Jesus Christ as their savior, but also had The Muffin Man as their other savior, and they prayed to both, lived according to both, etc. etc. etc.  I would disagree with that Muffin Man part, but I wouldn't classify it as a "dealbreaker" as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian.

That whole muffin man deal as a waste of time and a sin, but, none of us have room to talk.  We sin too, just differently.  

Regarding the nature of God, within reason, every Christian is going to have their own "understanding" of what God is like.  We can see God's behavior in The Word, but I don't think any of us can fully comprehend God as God comprehends Himself (or our heads would explode) - likewise, "wrath" and "love" are two very different human emotions, so its hard to paint a portrait of what that's really like in perfect unison.

Some people will look at the wrathful God and be like, " Metal 1 My God kick's evil's ass!  Watch out those who reject Him", while others might think, "Jeez...  God's kind of a jerk sometimes.".  Likewise regarding love, some will be like "God's love is the greatest love, God loves THE WORLD" but then others at the thought of say Jeffery Dahmer accepting Christ as his savior before he was murdered would think "There's no way God would love that POS because of what he did...", or a slightly different angle, disbelieving Jeffery Dahmer really accepted Jesus into his heart, because of the crimes committed.

Obviously there's more to God than just wrath and love, but we don't need pages of additional examples - I think we get the idea. Reminds me of this little rhyme I heard from a friend who's also a Catholic priest:

Two men look through prison bars
One sees mud, the other sees stars

Well both men are right, but perception is literally everything...  so why wouldn't people having different perceptions in/of life also have different perceptions of God?

That being said, there would be some "beliefs" regarding God's nature that I would disagree with, but I wouldn't classify it as a "dealbreaker" as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian.

Let me turn the tables here for a second sentient 6.  Twice now, you've referenced the term "dealbreaker".  Now I have my own definition of what that is, and I can assume how you're defining it, but can you clarify HOW you are defining it?

If someone does/believes something that is what you'd consider to be a "dealbreaker", does that mean:
- You refuse to show them love?
- You refuse to talk to or associate with them?
- You turn around and walk the other direction when they come near?
- You harass them through mental and emotional abuse until they leave or come around to your beliefs/actions?
- You approach them lovingly with the right answers, and get more and more "wrathful" when they don't come around?
- All of the above?
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Yesterday at 6:02 pm

Hi thomas...been busy last few days. I will try to respond to your post tomorrow.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum