Open Theism

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by alldatndensum on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 pm

exo wrote:I've got a very similar outlook to Thomas on that front.  I ended up at those views simply because there is so much difference amongst many various theological viewpoints that ALL HAVE THEIR BELIEVERS BEARING OBVIOUS FRUIT.  The fact that some of that fruit might be apples and some are oranges is far, far less important than the fact that the garden overall is bearing fruit.  We're not told to go out and just farm apples.......

When you get down to it, MUCH of what passes for "theological debate", especially on an Internet forum that is not dedicated to it, amounts to little more than one person preferring Michael W. Smith praise and worship while someone else lectures them about how churches shouldn't have anything more than a piano and organ leading 120 year old hymns. Or that a "good Christian" should only be watching G rated films.  Or that my significantly longer than collar length hair and earrings means I'm somehow violating the OT admonishment about not appearing like a woman and thus in need of a spiritual intervention.  It's just an extension of those same thought patterns.

More than that, we oftentimes ONLY interact without our fellow forumites in online, with absolutely ZERO way of knowing how their beliefs actually fertilize their tree, and what fruit it bears in the "real world".

 There is a LOT of acreage in the garden our trees are planted in.  Those planted around the outer edges of it are still part of it, and some people forget that "we" aren't the Master Gardener.



I've got to say that I agree with this as well.

Well, except for one thing, Exo.



lol!
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4327
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 47
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by exo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Laughing

_________________
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."


"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
avatar
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:55 pm

So if sin is in my heart because my hair is too long, what if I sport a skullet? (which is what would happen if I tried to grow my hair out now - friar tuck on top, massive hair on the sides)

Would my heart be sin free on top, but sin-ful on the sides? lol!

I do miss my long hair though - it was down to my lower back. I told my wife if her best friend can get breast implants, then I can get hair plugs or whatever procedure they do to give men hair on their heads again. She didn't object!

HAHAHA!!!
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by alldatndensum on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Skullets are still sinful just simply because guys wearing them think they look good but are lying to themselves.  LoL
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4327
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 47
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am

and that's why I shave my head right now! HAHA!!
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:31 am

ThomasEversole wrote:My opinion, for what its worth, as long as someone 1) has Jesus Christ in their heart as their Lord and Savior and

Thanks Thomas. Ok, how about a follow up question for you or for anyone else who would care to answer ? Any deal breakers in regards to the beliefs about nature of God, the Christ or salvation ?
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 pm

I've seen a t-shirt that says, "If I'm told I need to find Jesus, does that mean He's hiding?" and there's a cartoon illustration of Jesus in a bunch of plants doing a shhhhhh with his finger.

The irony is, that Christ doesn't "hide" from us.  He's already knocking on the doors of our hearts, and has been all along.  All we need to do is let Him in so we can accept Him, as our Savior.

Now if encountered someone who believed that they had to DO something to be "saved", like be baptized (a church I went to as a kid believed this), or partake in communion, or whatever else...  I would disagree with that, but I wouldn't classify it as a "dealbreaker" as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian.

Lets say I encountered someone who was polytheistic.  They have Jesus Christ as their savior, but also had The Muffin Man as their other savior, and they prayed to both, lived according to both, etc. etc. etc.  I would disagree with that Muffin Man part, but I wouldn't classify it as a "dealbreaker" as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian.

That whole muffin man deal as a waste of time and a sin, but, none of us have room to talk.  We sin too, just differently.  

Regarding the nature of God, within reason, every Christian is going to have their own "understanding" of what God is like.  We can see God's behavior in The Word, but I don't think any of us can fully comprehend God as God comprehends Himself (or our heads would explode) - likewise, "wrath" and "love" are two very different human emotions, so its hard to paint a portrait of what that's really like in perfect unison.

Some people will look at the wrathful God and be like, " Metal 1 My God kick's evil's ass!  Watch out those who reject Him", while others might think, "Jeez...  God's kind of a jerk sometimes.".  Likewise regarding love, some will be like "God's love is the greatest love, God loves THE WORLD" but then others at the thought of say Jeffery Dahmer accepting Christ as his savior before he was murdered would think "There's no way God would love that POS because of what he did...", or a slightly different angle, disbelieving Jeffery Dahmer really accepted Jesus into his heart, because of the crimes committed.

Obviously there's more to God than just wrath and love, but we don't need pages of additional examples - I think we get the idea. Reminds me of this little rhyme I heard from a friend who's also a Catholic priest:

Two men look through prison bars
One sees mud, the other sees stars

Well both men are right, but perception is literally everything...  so why wouldn't people having different perceptions in/of life also have different perceptions of God?

That being said, there would be some "beliefs" regarding God's nature that I would disagree with, but I wouldn't classify it as a "dealbreaker" as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian.
_________________________

Let me turn the tables here for a second sentient 6.  Twice now, you've referenced the term "dealbreaker".  Now I have my own definition of what that is, and I can assume how you're defining it, but can you clarify HOW you are defining it?

If someone does/believes something that is what you'd consider to be a "dealbreaker", does that mean:
- You refuse to show them love?
- You refuse to talk to or associate with them?
- You turn around and walk the other direction when they come near?
- You harass them through mental and emotional abuse until they leave or come around to your beliefs/actions?
- You approach them lovingly with the right answers, and get more and more "wrathful" when they don't come around?
- All of the above?
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi thomas...been busy last few days. I will try to respond to your post tomorrow.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by messiaen77 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:44 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
ThomasEversole wrote:My opinion, for what its worth, as long as someone 1) has Jesus Christ in their heart as their Lord and Savior and

Thanks Thomas. Ok, how about a follow up question for you or for anyone else who would care to answer ? Any deal breakers in regards to the beliefs about nature of God, the Christ or salvation ?
I'll take this one on.  The way I see it, I don't get to decide what the "deal breakers" are because I'm not the one making the deal.  I don't get to disqualify anyone for the Kingdom because it ain't my Kingdom.  So no, I don't have any "deal breaking" doctrinal issues.
avatar
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3272
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 46
Location : hiding in the bushes

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by Airola on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:18 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
ThomasEversole wrote:My opinion, for what its worth, as long as someone 1) has Jesus Christ in their heart as their Lord and Savior and

Thanks Thomas. Ok, how about a follow up question for you or for anyone else who would care to answer ? Any deal breakers in regards to the beliefs about nature of God, the Christ or salvation ?
I'll take this one on.  The way I see it, I don't get to decide what the "deal breakers" are because I'm not the one making the deal.  I don't get to disqualify anyone for the Kingdom because it ain't my Kingdom.  So no, I don't have any "deal breaking" doctrinal issues.

Yeah. If I think there are deal breakers and I'm looking if someone else have done something to break the deal, and I base it on my personal understanding of things - which is very limited in the grand scheme of things - can I be 100% sure I haven't also lost the deal ages ago.

Airola
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 498
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 35
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 pm

I've avoided people in my life. Because of how they act, what they say, or how they interact with other people. Back in my drinking days, I had a "landlord" that just hung around my place all the time (same building) and he was a dick. I literally chose to be homeless than live there because he was condescending, hit on the girlfriend I had at the time, would offer me food one day then get mad later because I ate it, etc.

That was a dealbreaker. ...because it directly impacted and effected me. I don't understand how a Christian's "fringe belief" directly effects someone else to the point of addressing it in the same way as the dealbreaker I described.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by Erasmus on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:53 am

My own theological views change often enough that I no longer see them as essential to being on the right side of orthodoxy or not. Martin Luther himself said that he could not even rely on the church fathers writings to help him understand the role of works vs grace as none of them seemed to agree with each other. (My bad paraphrase from what I've read).

Definitely there are theological points of view that I would subsribe as less helpful than others (Oneness Christology, Prosperity Gospel, Marianism as examples), however I can understand why people believe them and I do not believe they are not equal followers of Jesus if they rely on his death and resurrection as the only means of salvation.

Myself, I do not believe that the first few chapters of Genesis or the Book of Revelation are meant to be taken literally. For me I have actually found my faith strengthened by coming to that point of view. Would I then insist that everyone think the same as me. No way, but I would appreciate that those with the opposite point of view not get their knickers in a knot when I honestly tell them this. Sadly I have had on more than one occasion friends attack me and state that I am on the way to losing my salvation.
avatar
Erasmus
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 74
Join date : 2016-10-29
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by Mysterious Gamer Dude on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm sure that everyone here believes differently from one another in some way based upon their interpretation of the Scriptures. The important thing is that we have all accepted Christ, and as long as we stay on that path, we will see each other in Heaven one day.

I also think that people's opinions here don't reflect how they see others in their walk with God. There are so many different aspects about Him, and I'm honored that He would allow us to serve Him even after falling short.
avatar
Mysterious Gamer Dude
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 220
Join date : 2016-12-22
Age : 19
Location : It's a mystery...

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:43 am

messiaen77 wrote:
I'll take this one on.  The way I see it, I don't get to decide what the "deal breakers" are because I'm not the one making the deal.  I don't get to disqualify anyone for the Kingdom because it ain't my Kingdom.  So no, I don't have any "deal breaking" doctrinal issues.
 Well, I am not referring to their eternal state per se. It could have that kind of consequence though. More along the lines of people who you feel you are in communion with in the local church. People you would worship together, learn and join under a common united belief.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:52 am

ThomasEversole wrote:  I don't understand how a Christian's "fringe belief" directly effects someone else to the point of addressing it in the same way as the dealbreaker I described.

The body of Christ was meant by God to be a group that came together under a common belief. If there is no common belief, how can you truly have communion with anyone ?
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:54 am

sentient 6 wrote:
 Well, I am not referring to their eternal state per se. It could have that kind of consequence though. More along the lines of people who you feel you are in communion with in the local church. People you would worship together, learn and join under a common united belief.

The common united belief is faith in Christ Jesus.  Not Nature of God group A over here and Nature of God group B over there....  That just wreaks of a Corinth Clique, which Paul spoke against.

When one takes it upon themselves to be the world's doctrine police, they smash the church's "together, learn and join" to pieces.


Last edited by ThomasEversole on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:55 am

messiaen77 wrote:
I'll take this one on.  The way I see it, I don't get to decide what the "deal breakers" are because I'm not the one making the deal.  I don't get to disqualify anyone for the Kingdom because it ain't my Kingdom.  So no, I don't have any "deal breaking" doctrinal issues.
 Also, there must be churches and denominations that you know that you could not in good conscious attend and be part of....right ?
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:57 am

ThomasEversole wrote:

The common united belief is faith in Christ Jesus.  Not Nature of God group A over here and Nature of God group B over there....  That just wreaks of a Corinth Clique, which Paul spoke against.

When one takes it upon themselves to be the world's doctrine police, you smash the church's "together, learn and join" to pieces.
 

So, believing that Christs nature is very God, or that Christ nature was also very human is essential ?
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:01 am

Thomas, I've had a long day, but I still want to answer the questions you posed to me. But it will have to wait until tomorrow.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:04 am

sentient 6 wrote:
Also, there must be churches and denominations that you know that you could not in good conscious attend and be part of....right ?

Got an example?

sentient 6 wrote:
So, believing that Christs nature is very God, or that Christ nature was also very human is essential ?

Essential to what? Finish your thought please.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 am

sentient 6 wrote:Thomas, I've had a long day, but I still want to answer the questions you posed to me. But it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Friend, its strange to rapid fire 3 questions and then say you don't have time to talk about this, all in a span of 9 minutes.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by exo on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 am

sentient 6 wrote:
ThomasEversole wrote:  I don't understand how a Christian's "fringe belief" directly effects someone else to the point of addressing it in the same way as the dealbreaker I described.

The body of Christ was meant by God to be a group that came together under a common belief. If there is no common belief, how can you truly have communion with anyone ?



Questions:

Exactly how homogenous is that common belief supposed to be, and who is the scripturaly declared judge of that?  At what point of getting the details wrong outside of accepting Christ have we gone so far off the rails that Christ will reject US?  Your particular track on this concept will ULTIMATELY lead to the rejection and denial of all those who differ in belief from yourself, so how can you expect there to be a united common belief when the ultimate endgame of the thought process leads to wedges and firm lines of division?  You can argue that it doesn't all you wish, but that runs counter to demonstrated history on the matter even here in as small an environment as the CMR is.


How can you talk about having a united common belief, when you have people lay out broad details on their own, only to dissect/reject/argue over them on such a consistent basis? You've literally had multiple people say "if you believe in Christ as Lord and Savior and are bearing fruit, we can fellowship with you", and then here you are again, devoting an INCREDIBLE amount of energy towards rejecting those points.  It's really almost as if you'd RATHER engage in an arguement than in fellowship.

_________________
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."


"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
avatar
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 am

ThomasEversole wrote:

Friend, its strange to rapid fire 3 questions and then say you don't have time to talk about this, all in a span of 9 minutes.

Lol, strange that I would want to get ready to go to bed ? I logged on, and I seen that I should clarify something. Why is it that whatever I post its always a " rapid fire " response ? ( please don't answer that though )
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 am

ThomasEversole wrote:

Got an example?



Essential to what?  Finish your thought please.

An example for me ? I could not join with JWs, Mormons, Roman Catholics, Oneness Pentecostals, or any denominations that have forsaken the scriptures as their sole source of authority for their beliefs. I could commune with Reformed Baptists, Most Lutherans, Most Presbyterians, Baptists, Wesleyans, and maybe some orthodox charismatics congregations. Probably some more, but I think you understand what I am saying.


To your second question, essential for salvation. I know people can start out in ignorance on these things. But I am talking about a willful and thoughful rejection once they are made of aware of what the scripture teaches.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:36 am

exo wrote:



Questions:

Exactly how homogenous is that common belief supposed to be, and who is the scripturaly declared judge of that?  At what point of getting the details wrong outside of accepting Christ have we gone so far off the rails that Christ will reject US?  Your particular track on this concept will ULTIMATELY lead to the rejection and denial of all those who differ in belief from yourself, so how can you expect there to be a united common belief when the ultimate endgame of the thought process leads to wedges and firm lines of division?  You can argue that it doesn't all you wish, but that runs counter to demonstrated history on the matter even here in as small an environment as the CMR is.


How can you talk about having a united common belief, when you have people lay out broad details on their own, only to dissect/reject/argue over them on such a consistent basis? You've literally had multiple people say "if you believe in Christ as Lord and Savior and are bearing fruit, we can fellowship with you", and then here you are again, devoting an INCREDIBLE amount of energy towards rejecting those points.  It's really almost as if you'd RATHER engage in an arguement than in fellowship.

They do lead to division. That's why there are so many denominations. That's why there is only a kind of bare minimum of essentials here at the CMR. I know there has too be.


I am not rejecting what they posted. I think you are making more out of my posts than what is warranted. I am asking questions to see where people draw their lines in regards to Christian belief. Was I supposed to assume that everyone here believes the same thing about who Christ is  ? I think I know pretty much what everyone here believes about Christ. But once again, I was just asking what are the lines that people draw when they encounter beliefs about Christ and salvation that are different their own.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:43 am

ThomasEversole wrote:I've seen a t-shirt that says, "If I'm told I need to find Jesus, does that mean He's hiding?" and there's a cartoon illustration of Jesus in a bunch of plants doing a shhhhhh with his finger.

The irony is, that Christ doesn't "hide" from us.  He's already knocking on the doors of our hearts, and has been all along.  All we need to do is let Him in so we can accept Him, as our Savior.

Now if encountered someone who believed that they had to DO something to be "saved", like be baptized (a church I went to as a kid believed this), or partake in communion, or whatever else...  I would disagree with that, but I wouldn't classify it as a "dealbreaker" as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian.

Lets say I encountered someone who was polytheistic.  They have Jesus Christ as their savior, but also had The Muffin Man as their other savior, and they prayed to both, lived according to both, etc. etc. etc.  I would disagree with that Muffin Man part, but I wouldn't classify it as a "dealbreaker" as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian.

That whole muffin man deal as a waste of time and a sin, but, none of us have room to talk.  We sin too, just differently.  


Ok, lets say you pointed out that Jesus said that you cannot serve two masters, for you will love the one and hate the other ? And they still persisted in their " two " saviors religion ? Also, I liken this example here as a outright rejection of the Gospel and would not classify it as an example of a Christian sinning.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:45 am

ThomasEversole wrote:
Let me turn the tables here for a second sentient 6.  Twice now, you've referenced the term "dealbreaker".  Now I have my own definition of what that is, and I can assume how you're defining it, but can you clarify HOW you are defining it?

If someone does/believes something that is what you'd consider to be a "dealbreaker", does that mean:
- You refuse to show them love?
- You refuse to talk to or associate with them?
- You turn around and walk the other direction when they come near?
- You harass them through mental and emotional abuse until they leave or come around to your beliefs/actions?
- You approach them lovingly with the right answers, and get more and more "wrathful" when they don't come around?
- All of the above?

I will follow up later tonight when I get home from work and speak to the question you posed to me here.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
Lol, strange that I would want to get ready to go to bed ? I logged on, and I seen that I should clarify something. Why is it that whatever I post its always a " rapid fire " response ? ( please don't answer that though )

You weren't clarifying something though. You asked 3 questions.
Questions don't clarify anything. They bait a response so an agreement or contradiction can be made.

sentient 6 wrote:
An example for me ? I could not join with JWs, Mormons, Roman Catholics, Oneness Pentecostals, or any denominations that have forsaken the scriptures as their sole source of authority for their beliefs. I could commune with Reformed Baptists, Most Lutherans, Most Presbyterians, Baptists, Wesleyans, and maybe some orthodox charismatics congregations. Probably some more, but I think you understand what I am saying.

That's boldly presumptuous to say ALL Mormons and Roman Catholics have "forsaken the scriptures as their sole source of authority for their beliefs". Do you know the hearts and beliefs of all members of these groups?

I come from a southern baptist stock myself. The Catholics and Mormons I've met have a passion for Christ, and have obviously accepted him as their savior - and I concede that I haven't met all members of said "denomination". I honestly haven't rooted around their doctrines to find "differences" (what I disagree with), but like I said before... as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian, the rest is small potatoes.

At least I don't think its worth fighting about and stirring up negative emotions over...

sentient 6 wrote:
To your second question, essential for salvation. I know people can start out in ignorance on these things. But I am talking about a willful and thoughful rejection once they are made of aware of what the scripture teaches.

Wait, so you're saying someone has to have the right "ratio" in their God/human belief of Christ's "nature" to be saved?
Are you saying if someone is off in that ratio, they're going to hell?

I thought salvation was accepting Christ's gift... not an "understanding of God" ratio...??

sentient 6 wrote:
I am not rejecting what they posted. I think you are making more out of my posts than what is warranted. I am asking questions to see where people draw their lines in regards to Christian belief. Was I supposed to assume that everyone here believes the same thing about who Christ is  ? I think I know pretty much what everyone here believes about Christ. But once again, I was just asking what are the lines that people draw when they encounter beliefs about Christ and salvation that are different their own.

Well, you know where my line is drawn. I've said it multiple times. A few others have said similar things, regarding others having faith and still making "dealbreakers".

In regards to encountering different beliefs about Christ... where's your cutoff?

If I believed Christ had a bicycle, didn't like apples, or visited North America while he was on earth... would those be dealbreakers to you?

sentient 6 wrote:
Ok, lets say you pointed out that Jesus said that you cannot serve two masters, for you will love the one and hate the other ? And they still persisted in their " two " saviors religion ? Also, I liken this example here as a outright rejection of the Gospel and would not classify it as an example of a Christian sinning.

I don't think you understand what polytheism is...

sentient 6 wrote:
I will follow up later tonight when I get home from work and speak to the question you posed to me here.

...ok...
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by messiaen77 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:16 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:
I'll take this one on.  The way I see it, I don't get to decide what the "deal breakers" are because I'm not the one making the deal.  I don't get to disqualify anyone for the Kingdom because it ain't my Kingdom.  So no, I don't have any "deal breaking" doctrinal issues.
 Well, I am not referring to their eternal state per se. It could have that kind of consequence though. More along the lines of people who you feel you are in communion with in the local church. People you would worship together, learn and join under a common united belief.
I don't believe anyone has 100% perfect theology.  We've all got some stuff wrong.  I believe in grace and the work of the Holy Spirit to teach, correct, and train in righteousness.


ThomasEversole wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
 Well, I am not referring to their eternal state per se. It could have that kind of consequence though. More along the lines of people who you feel you are in communion with in the local church. People you would worship together, learn and join under a common united belief.

The common united belief is faith in Christ Jesus.  Not Nature of God group A over here and Nature of God group B over there....  That just wreaks of a Corinth Clique, which Paul spoke against.

When one takes it upon themselves to be the world's doctrine police, they smash the church's "together, learn and join" to pieces.
Yeah, this.  The "common belief" that unifies us is faith in Christ.

sentient 6 wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:
I'll take this one on.  The way I see it, I don't get to decide what the "deal breakers" are because I'm not the one making the deal.  I don't get to disqualify anyone for the Kingdom because it ain't my Kingdom.  So no, I don't have any "deal breaking" doctrinal issues.
 Also, there must be churches and denominations that you know that you could not in good conscious attend and be part of....right ?
Yes, there are.  But that may or may not have anything to do with doctrinal issues.  It is typically more practice than doctrine that turns me off.  It also has nothing really to do with whether or not I could fellowship/worship/take communion with or learn from people who do attend or are a part of those churches/denominations.  While I might go to a service with them occasionally, I could not in good consciousness associate myself regularly with their church because that would imply I agree with or endorse what they teach/believe/practice.
avatar
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3272
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 46
Location : hiding in the bushes

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by messiaen77 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:19 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
Lol, strange that I would want to get ready to go to bed ? I logged on, and I seen that I should clarify something. Why is it that whatever I post its always a " rapid fire " response ? ( please don't answer that though )

You weren't clarifying something though.  You asked 3 questions.
Questions don't clarify anything.  They bait a response so an agreement or contradiction can be made.

sentient 6 wrote:
An example for me ? I could not join with JWs, Mormons, Roman Catholics, Oneness Pentecostals, or any denominations that have forsaken the scriptures as their sole source of authority for their beliefs. I could commune with Reformed Baptists, Most Lutherans, Most Presbyterians, Baptists, Wesleyans, and maybe some orthodox charismatics congregations. Probably some more, but I think you understand what I am saying.

That's boldly presumptuous to say ALL Mormons and Roman Catholics have "forsaken the scriptures as their sole source of authority for their beliefs".  Do you know the hearts and beliefs of all members of these groups?

I come from a southern baptist stock myself.  The Catholics and Mormons I've met have a passion for Christ, and have obviously accepted him as their savior - and I concede that I haven't met all members of said "denomination".  I honestly haven't rooted around their doctrines to find "differences" (what I disagree with), but like I said before...  as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian, the rest is small potatoes.

At least I don't think its worth fighting about and stirring up negative emotions over...
There's an old John Fischer song that rings true to me.  "Jesus is the only way, but there's more than one way to Jesus.
avatar
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3272
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 46
Location : hiding in the bushes

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by alldatndensum on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Yes, there are.  But that may or may not have anything to do with doctrinal issues.  It is typically more practice than doctrine that turns me off.  It also has nothing really to do with whether or not I could fellowship/worship/take communion with or learn from people who do attend or are a part of those churches/denominations.  While I might go to a service with them occasionally, I could not in good consciousness associate myself regularly with their church because that would imply I agree with or endorse what they teach/believe/practice.

I have to agree with this.  Many churches OFFICIALLY believe in certain doctrines but may or may not practice those.  They may be back-bitin', gossip loving, discord spreading people while they teach good doctrine.  How they conduct themselves and the reputation they have in the community has as much to do with whether I want to associate with certain churches more than what they teach.

I don't agree with Church Of Christ doctrines.  However, I have been to one close to my house when the weather was bad and we cancelled services.  I overlooked what I disagreed with and worshiped with them.  I stopped going when they told me that "they knew where God was telling me to be".  I felt that they were telling me that my "God radar" was broken and they were the authority to tell me what God was saying to me.  I only felt I was there to worship since my own church was temporarily closed for snow (we don't salt/clear all roads here).  That turned me off.  When a couple of members tried the same guilt trip on me when they saw me out publicly, it really left a bad taste in my mouth.  I discontinued visiting there based on their actions more than their doctrine.  Unless I feel that the Holy Spirit is directing me, I won't return there.
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4327
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 47
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
I will follow up later tonight when I get home from work and speak to the question you posed to me here.
...ok...

You're not the first to say in recent times "I'll tell you tomorrow" and then not.  I was hoping you'd elaborate more on the points you brought up, instead of making a different point by saying you'd reply, then not doing so...

messiaen77 wrote:
Yes, there are.  But that may or may not have anything to do with doctrinal issues.  It is typically more practice than doctrine that turns me off.  It also has nothing really to do with whether or not I could fellowship/worship/take communion with or learn from people who do attend or are a part of those churches/denominations.  While I might go to a service with them occasionally, I could not in good consciousness associate myself regularly with their church because that would imply I agree with or endorse what they teach/believe/practice.

alldatndensum wrote:
I don't agree with Church Of Christ doctrines.  However, I have been to one close to my house when the weather was bad and we cancelled services.  I overlooked what I disagreed with and worshiped with them.  I stopped going when they told me that "they knew where God was telling me to be".  I felt that they were telling me that my "God radar" was broken and they were the authority to tell me what God was saying to me.  I only felt I was there to worship since my own church was temporarily closed for snow (we don't salt/clear all roads here).  That turned me off.  When a couple of members tried the same guilt trip on me when they saw me out publicly, it really left a bad taste in my mouth.  I discontinued visiting there based on their actions more than their doctrine.  Unless I feel that the Holy Spirit is directing me, I won't return there.

Spot on gentlemen.  Alldat, your experience sounds very similar to this Lutheran church I went to in my hometown.  I'm not extremely familiar with Lutheran doctrine, some things were "catholic-ish", at least from this particular church, but none of that had anything to do with the fact that worshiping Christ there didn't feel a whole lot different than worshiping him anywhere.  At the time, this church was literally across the street, so for the sake of convenience, I decided to check it out.

What turned me off to that church was, I got the cold shoulder after they found out my last name.  (I guess "Eversole" is stigmatized to "baptist" in my home town)  It wasn't that they disagreed and debated doctrine with me.  I'm honestly only assuming it was because of my last name.  After the service, the preacher stands at the exit of the sanctuary and "fellowships" with the people as they leave.  My first time there, was friendly, shook my hand.  He asked who I was and I told him.  

When I was next in line the following week, he just ghosted me - wouldn't shake my hand or even say hello - just looked at me, then started talking with the person who was in line behind me.

So I walked out never to return.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by alldatndensum on Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 am

What is sad, Thomas, is that many churches commit acts like this that they will teach against.  They rarely admit that they do things like this that make people uncomfortable and feel unloved.  HOW we act many times turns off other believers and non-believers more so that what we believe in my opinion.
avatar
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Posts : 4327
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 47
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by ThomasEversole on Thu May 04, 2017 11:43 am

alldatndensum wrote:What is sad, Thomas, is that many churches commit acts like this that they will teach against.  They rarely admit that they do things like this that make people uncomfortable and feel unloved.  HOW we act many times turns off other believers and non-believers more so that what we believe in my opinion.

We need a giant agree button integrated into this forum.
So I can press it for your post. LOL

Within reason, I get that we're not always up to living what we're taught. ...or what we preach.
...but there's a huge difference between trying and failing, and deliberately doing the opposite out of ego, pride, etc.
avatar
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2013-03-19
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:


You're not the first to say in recent times "I'll tell you tomorrow" and then not.  I was hoping you'd elaborate more on the points you brought up, instead of making a different point by saying you'd reply, then not doing so...



Sorry, I've been a little busy. But also, I wasn't sure if this was something I wanted to continue with at this forum.

If someone does/believes something that is what you'd consider to be a "dealbreaker", does that mean:
- You refuse to show them love?
- You refuse to talk to or associate with them?
- You turn around and walk the other direction when they come near?
- You harass them through mental and emotional abuse until they leave or come around to your beliefs/actions?
- You approach them lovingly with the right answers, and get more and more "wrathful" when they don't come around?
- All of the above?


First of all, I was primarily using " deal breaker " in the sense of who you or I feel we are in communion with. But I will also say that it has implications of leading me to feel who needs to hear the Gospel and who doesn't. Who might have a saving knowledge of God and who might not. Also, I totally feel that God can save people within say, Moromism and Roman Catholicism. But from my pov, it would be despite of their churches distinctive theology, rather than because of it. Plus, it would be reasonable to believe that the Holy Spirit would continue to lead them away from error and they would feel a continuous dissatisfaction staying with those congregations. Now, too you're questions....

1 ) The most loving thing from my pov would be to share the truth with them. Now, I believe their is a time and place for everything. There are appropriate times and ways of talking to people about what I believe and what they believe.

2 ) No. I would not refuse to talk or associate with them

3 ) No.

4 ) No. Like I stated, there is a time and place for everything. I take comfort as a Calvinist that it is the Holy Spirit that converts people and not us. I try to let the Holy Spirit guide me as to when I should be talking about my beliefs and to who. And I try to be aware of the manner in which I talk to people as well.

5 ) No. I try to share as the spirit leads and gives opportunity. I try to always self reflect if my attitudes and ways will add to the offense of       what I am communicating.

Now, I have a friend that has given up a Christian belief in exchange for a more Buddhist one. He still says he believes in Christ, and insists that we  believe in the same Christ. Sometimes we talk about that kind of stuff, and sometimes we don't. When I see that he is getting angry or that I am getting annoyed we stop. Then, maybe a month will go by and never talk about religion. But I don't stop associating myself with him. There is also someone else I work with that goes to a word of faith church and primarily reads stuff along the lines of that kind of theology. I detest Word of faith theology and have contempt for its leaders and teachers, but I have never had this conversation with this person as of yet. I know this person loves God and is saved, but I have not yet felt the right time to talk about my views with her. There was one time when I eluded to my feelings after she offered me a Kenneth Hagin book, but I didn't get that deep with it. Now, may there be a time when I talk about that stuff with her ? Sure, but in the mean time I feel its better to just talk with her about sound biblical teaching instead. I just wanted to give you a couple real life examples Thomas, to further give you an idea wear I'm coming from.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by sentient 6 on Wed May 10, 2017 4:32 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:

I come from a southern baptist stock myself.  The Catholics and Mormons I've met have a passion for Christ, and have obviously accepted him as their savior - and I concede that I haven't met all members of said "denomination".  I honestly haven't rooted around their doctrines to find "differences" (what I disagree with), but like I said before...  as long as they're 1) seeking Christ and His gift of salvation and 2) living like a Christian, the rest is small potatoes.

Thomas, from what I have picked up at this forum, you seem to believe that the punishment in the Lake of Fire will be finite ? In light of this possible belief, do you feel it has had an influence on your thinking about what others believe ? Because if it is true that Gods love will win in the end ( to borrow from Rob Bell ), who cares if Mormons believe that God was once a man when even atheists will be saved. Do see how a belief like that could impact what you feel are urgent and important ? Just a thought.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5809
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Open Theism

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum