The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offensive or hilarious?

+9
Kerrick
Andreas89
ImagoDei
Staybrite
crucifyd
srguenther
New Creation
sentient 6
ThomasEversole
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Offensive or hilarious? Empty Offensive or hilarious?

Post by ThomasEversole Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:34 pm

My brother texted me this video link.  We both lol'ed quite a bit.
Its a deathcore/slam-deathmetal (?) lyric video with um....  very distinct lyrics...  (don't worry, no graphic imagery or anything like that)

[MOD EDIT: link removed]

Obviously because of the thread title, I could see how someone would think this lyric video is EXTREMELY offensive.  

So what's the personal determinant?  
Why do me and my brother (who are Christians) get a HUGE laugh from something like this, while other Christians would probably be undeniably offended?

Are those offended taking it too seriously?
Are those offended lacking a sense of humor?
Are those laughing when they watch this not taking it seriously enough?
Are those laughing guilty of a warped sense of humor?  Is that bad?

(If you don't think this video is funny or offensive, than what are you opinions on something else you DO consider funny that others find offensive?  If you don't have an example, then why are others laughing at something you're offended by?  Etc.)

Opinions please.  LOL

Last edited by Kerrick on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : removed link to video with foul/sexual lyrics)
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Offensive or hilarious? Empty Re: Offensive or hilarious?

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:25 am

Hi Thomas. I guess I would simply share some scripture with you and see if the Spirit would give us some direction.

Colossians 3
3 So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory.
Put to death, therefore, whatever in you is earthly: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry). On account of these the wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient.  These are the ways you also once followed, when you were living that life.  But now you must get rid of all such things—anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive language from your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices 10 and have clothed yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator. 11 In that renewal there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all!
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:27 am

Also, I guess the heart of the matter is this - is crude humor consistent with Christian holiness and witness ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:58 am

That was not edifying in any way, shape or form. Joking about sexual perversion should not be allowed anywhere.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by srguenther Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:25 am

Ok I know I'll get flak for this... I did not watch the video, but.....

Half of us on here listen to secular music that is not consistent with Christian holiness and witness, and as far as edifying goes....we'll then how do we justify watching any secular movie or listening to any secular music? They are not edifying either...

srguenther
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 am

srguenther wrote:Ok I know I'll get flak for this...  I did not watch the video, but.....

Half of us on here listen to secular music that is not consistent with Christian holiness and witness, and as far as edifying goes....we'll then how do we justify watching any secular movie or listening to any secular music?  They are not edifying either...

I draw my limits when it comes to glorifying sin. I have a very difficult time watching movies where the bad guy is the good guy. Movies like Payback starring Mel Gibson. It's one thing to portray sin on camera, like terrorism, theft, etc., and then watch it be defeated in the same script. It's another to glorify it.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:54 am

srguenther wrote:Ok I know I'll get flak for this...  I did not watch the video, but.....

Half of us on here listen to secular music that is not consistent with Christian holiness and witness, and as far as edifying goes....we'll then how do we justify watching any secular movie or listening to any secular music?  They are not edifying either...

the original post is quite vulgar and disgusting but I thought of this myself...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Wow. Epic CMR fail.

Of course the video is vulgar, not-edifying, etc. You guys are all acting like I'm trying to pass this off as something wholesome - I am not. Can you please stop being off topic, bragging on how virtuous you are for a second, and actually answer the freaking questions I asked?
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:53 pm

I thought it was disgusting...but I wasn't "offended".  I would think someone would probably have to have a warped sense of humor to think it was really funny.  Having said that I'm not sure how anyone could take it seriously.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:06 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:Wow.  Epic CMR fail.  

This is the Christian Metal Realm. Christ is at our center. Jokes about homo sex are not Christ centered. Nothing more to talk about. I will not budge.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 pm

New Creation wrote:
This is the Christian Metal Realm. Christ is at our center. Jokes about homo sex are not Christ centered. Nothing more to talk about. I will not budge.

Your animated poop post in the Random Videos thread isn't Christ centered either, so not sure why poop humor is a-ok and dick humor is way out of bounds.
Not trying to get you to NOT being offended by that video. It was just an example.

The meat and potatoes of the thread is here...

ThomasEversole wrote:
(If you don't think this video is funny or offensive, than what are you opinions on something else you DO consider funny that others find offensive? If you don't have an example, then why are others laughing at something you're offended by? Etc.)

...and if you've got "nothing more to talk about", so be it. I value you your input and things you've said before, so I'm disappointed to see nerves and walls instead of you sharing your insight.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Everybody poops. No one should have homo sex nor should anyone joke about it.

I still love you as a brother but I am judging you on this issue. It's what loving brothers do.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:05 am

Whilst I didn't find that particular song funny, and I think that has more to do with the style of music used rather than the lyrics, I do have a sick sense of humour and find that I am often not offended by things that offend others.

I think it is because I appreciate the ridiculous. That song is clearly ridiculous and in no way should be taken seriously. I don't know if Christians are too easily offended or are just worried about what others will think if they laugh at things they are not meant to laugh at.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Erasmus wrote:That song is clearly ridiculous and in no way should be taken seriously. I don't know if Christians are too easily offended or are just worried about what others will think if they laugh at things they are not meant to laugh at.

You said what I was thinking, and I theorize you're more right than both of us realize.

In parallel, I imagine the same crew watching SNL satire of Satan/"The Devil" and completely overlooking every ounce of tongue-in-cheek humor because... its Satan, Christians are against Satan. End of story. Begin the judgement.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ImagoDei Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:12 pm

1.Are those offended taking it too seriously?
-No.

2.Are those offended lacking a sense of humor?
-Not necessarily. Humor is subjective, and probably influenced by life experiences, exposures, and probably evolves throughout ones life.

3.Are those laughing when they watch this not taking it seriously enough?
-No. Even if you apply the "everything is permissible" verse to this, it's not beneficial. Now, I'm sure one could argue the benefits of finding humor in this or other types, but I'm speaking from the perspective of spiritual edification. 

4.Are those laughing guilty of a warped sense of humor?  Is that bad?
Perhaps it is a warped sense of humor, but, I wonder how much control we have over inclinations towards certain genres, so to speak, of humor. Like I stated above, I think life circumstances and history may influence this quite a bit. Transparency time: I have a tendency for dark or inappropriate  humor. It's not something that I have ever chosen, it's just how it is. Is it from growing up watching George Carlin and SNL? Who knows. Sometimes I find things funny and I feel bad that I find the thing funny, but it's not something I set out and make a decision on, it either strikes me or it doesn't. Maybe it's simply a type of bad psychology like C.S. Lewis talks about in Mere Christianity, just not as extreme as his examples. 

It's an interesting topic to consider, thanks for bringing it up.

ImagoDei
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am

Just my two cents: vulgar jokes about homosexuality aren't necessarily bad. I'd even say that they can be perceived as jokes because of the absurdity and perversion of the homosexual praxis.
It's like the solo album of Till Lindemann (singer of Rammstein); exactly by singing vulgar songs about abortion, drug abuse, lots of sexual perversions, he actually (maybe unintentionally) points out how incredibly demented those things are. So it's not bad to find songs like in the OP funny, I'd say.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:49 am

ImagoDei. Andreas89. Erasmus.

THANK YOU for actually understanding this thread.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:30 am

It's time to stick with my convictions. I find the OP video so offensive that if it's not removed from the CMR, then I'll be removing myself and I won't ever return.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 am

that would be sad...I hope it is removed...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:16 am

Adam's presence on this board >>>>>>>[infinite]>>>>>>> that video on this board
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 am

I probably should've done this earlier, but I removed the video. For anyone that's just now seeing the thread, it was a music video that had intentionally comical but obscene/over-the-top lyrics that were sexual in nature. If you're really curious, you can PM Thomas to get the link but it's something that's not suitable for this forum, even within spoiler tags.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 am

OK, I didnt find it funny, but thats because I dont find crudeness for the sake of crudeness to be funny. While I watch some shows with crude humor like Venture Brothers and Rick and Morty (which has a surprising heart buried under the crudeness) and internet reviewers like Angry Video Game Nerd, Nostalgia Critic, and Rebel Taxi who also use that type of humor, it's usually not the focal point of the jokes as they have plenty of jokes that arent offensive at all.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:28 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
Are those offended taking it too seriously?
Are those offended lacking a sense of humor?
Are those laughing when they watch this not taking it seriously enough?
Are those laughing guilty of a warped sense of humor?  Is that bad?

I don't think the issue of taking crude humor as serious or not serious should be the focal point for a Christian. In fact, I really think its irrelevant. I think its more about a renewed mind and being more thoughtful about things. Jokes about Jews being put to death, racist in nature, babies dying, etc could be put in the same category as the sexual ones. I think the offense comes into play when we start looking at the world differently than we did before we bowed the knee to Christ. Outside our personal feelings and desires, how would a Christian know the will of God in such manners ? That's the rhetorical question that we must wrestle with.

Romans 12

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Ephesians 4
17 Now this I affirm and insist on in the Lord: you must no longer live as the Gentiles live, in the futility of their minds. 18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of their ignorance and hardness of heart. 19 They have lost all sensitivity and have abandoned themselves to licentiousness, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. 20 That is not the way you learned Christ! 21 For surely you have heard about him and were taught in him, as truth is in Jesus. 22 You were taught to put away your former way of life, your old self, corrupt and deluded by its lusts, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to clothe yourselves with the new self, created according to the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
25 So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbors, for we are members of one another. 26 Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and do not make room for the devil. 28 Thieves must give up stealing; rather let them labor and work honestly with their own hands, so as to have something to share with the needy. 29 Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up,[b] as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear.

Ephesians 5
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us[a] and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

But fornication and impurity of any kind, or greed, must not even be mentioned among you, as is proper among saints. Entirely out of place is obscene, silly, and vulgar talk; but instead, let there be thanksgiving. Be sure of this, that no fornicator or impure person, or one who is greedy (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Who among us here can really say that the Word of God has no bearing on this subject ? Where does it say in scripture that these things are ok for Christians to partake of, so long as its only a joke  and done for a cheap laugh ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:39 pm

srguenther wrote:....we'll then how do we justify watching any secular movie or listening to any secular music?  They are not edifying either...

That's when Christians become inconsistent with their worldviews and beliefs...when we try to justify some of things we " like." That's why we always must have our motives laid bare before God. Been guilty of this many times myself, so I am not saying that I am more righteous that anyone else here.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:53 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
srguenther wrote:....we'll then how do we justify watching any secular movie or listening to any secular music?  They are not edifying either...

That's when Christians become inconsistent with their worldviews and beliefs...when we try to justify some of things we " like." That's why we always must have our motives laid bare before God. Been guilty of this many times myself, so I am not saying that I am more righteous that anyone else here.
We call this sanctification.

I'm not 100% consistent either. But there are a lot of thing I don't watch or listen to anymore and am ever more uncomfortable with them.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next