The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger

+6
Constantine
arttieTHE1manparty
crucifyd
alldatndensum
oldschooldoom
deathisgain
10 posters

Go down

The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger Empty The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger

Post by deathisgain Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:26 am

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-08-27/matthew-trippe-nikki-sixx-the-imitation-game

I remember around the time that I came to the Lord (1991) that I had read about a guy claiming to have been the real Nikki Sixx. I vaguely thought that he was going around the Christian circuit telling his story. I can't remember if it was this guy, or another one.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger Empty Re: The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger

Post by oldschooldoom Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:02 am

I remember someone that named himself Nikki Sixx but maybe spelled differently. He was a Christian. He said that the musician in Motley Crue named himself Nikki Sixx years after he did. The Christian Nikki had a testimony to give. Seems that I had it in written form. Was many years ago.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger Empty Re: The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger

Post by alldatndensum Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:12 am

I remember the guy claiming he was Nikki Sixx and with the lawsuits many years ago.  Kerrang!, Hit Parader, even the National Enquirer carried the story.  It makes me wonder how much McGhee paid to get this story going to get Motley Crue a ton of publicity.

I also remember the Christian guy that claimed he was Nikki Sixx.  I don't think it is the same guy.  I don't think his so called "ministry" lasted long, either.  When the real Sixx was still out playing with the Crue, your story falls flat.  I can't stand charlatans hiding within the ranks of the church just to make a quick buck.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:51 pm

i have the "tract" or whatever you want to call it of the guy that said he was Nikki Syxx (I think that's how he spelled it) before Nikki Sixx, in fact I just ran across it the other day... i'll post a pic later
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 am

oldschooldoom wrote:I remember someone that named himself Nikki Sixx but maybe spelled differently. He was a Christian. He said that the musician in Motley Crue named himself Nikki Sixx years after he did. The Christian Nikki had a testimony to give. Seems that I had it in written form. Was many years ago.

I remember this as well. In fact, he actually came to North Platte, NE and was in the NebraskaLand Days parade one year in the late 80s or early 90s.  I saw him and I was like, "you're not in Motley Crue!"  Never really bothered to hear what he had to say as I passed him off as a phony immediately.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty
The Strongest Man In The World

http://www.Glitter2Gutter.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:01 pm

crucifyd wrote:i have the "tract" or whatever you want to call it of the guy that said he was Nikki Syxx (I think that's how he spelled it) before Nikki Sixx, in fact I just ran across it the other day... i'll post a pic later

woops totally spaced on this...will *** try *** to do it today...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:27 pm

so this is not the guy in the article but the one I mentioned above. he also claims to have had the name Nikki Syxx before Motley Crue was formed...I'm thinking this is probably the guy that several of you remember back in the day...

I don't remember where I got this but the Bloodgood stamp on the back may be a clue...a show? included with an order from Bloodgood?

if you want to read it here are some BIG images
you know, most on this board ARE over 45  ; )

http://myplace.frontier.com/~crucifyd/pics/Nikki-Syxx/Nikki-Syxx-1.jpg
http://myplace.frontier.com/~crucifyd/pics/Nikki-Syxx/Nikki-Syxx-2.jpg
http://myplace.frontier.com/~crucifyd/pics/Nikki-Syxx/Nikki-Syxx-3.jpg
http://myplace.frontier.com/~crucifyd/pics/Nikki-Syxx/Nikki-Syxx-4.jpg

if not here is the front

The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger Nikki-Syxx-thumb
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 am

That's the guy I saw, yes.

I also remember reading about the other guy back in the day.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty

http://www.Glitter2Gutter.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Guys, I know the story of this one.  It's actually a very interesting story.

Matthew Trippe was NOT the Nikki Syxx who was the bass player who later became a Christian and created the tract.

The real original Nikki Syxx (although he actually spelled it Niki Syxx) is a guy named Jeff Nicholson.  
He was originally a bassist/vocalist for a Riverside, CA-based band Squeeze (no relation to the UK Squeeze), and also played with Sammy Hagar before Hagar joined Van Halen.  Jeff was also the long time bass player for the Darrell Mansfield Band.

According to the biography of the Motley Crue Nikki Sixx (born Frank Carlton Ferrana), Frank/Nikki basically stole the name from Jeff after seeing Jeff play on the Riverside, CA rock circuit.  

Jeff Nicholson not only wrote the tract that crucifyd posted ^ but produced a cassette talk called "Does Ozzy Worship The Devil?"

It was an absolutely brilliant Bible-study / sermon.  Back then (late 80's) there was a lot of speculation about hard rock bands and whether or not they worshipped the devil.  Jeff laid out a Biblical argument for why the question of who a band like Ozzy, Judas Priest, or Motley Crue, etc. worshipped was not the real issue.   What matters, he said, is not who they worship, but who they SERVE.

I must have listened to that tape dozens of times and eventually wore it out.   It didn't have great sound quality to begin with because the copy was low quality. 

I eventually tracked Jeff's phone number down and called him up.  I asked him if I could send him a blank tape and would he please record a copy of his talk from his master tapes. I wanted to duplicate it and give copies to people.   He was an extremely nice and gracious guy.   He also offered me a live talk that he did which was an expanded version of the original "Does Ozzy Worship The Devil?"    One of my friends said the live talk was better, but I preferred the original because it was more to the point.  But both were really good.

I still have these tapes somewhere but have to find them.   A long-term goal of mine has been to have them digitized and put them up on You Tube.  In fact, if anyone has the equipment and is willing to digitize them for me, let me know.   I would be willing to pay you something for your time and effort.  Of course I still have to locate them so it wouldn't be anytime soon....

Anyway back to the story.  So another fun fact about Jeff Nicholson is that he was the founder of the Living Epistles t-shirt company.

If anyone remembers these, they were t-shirts that featured early memes - basically, clever inversions or parodies of mainstream bands or pop culture catch phrases, with a corresponding Bible verse underneath or on the back.   
One t-shirt read "I Have The Cure For Your Depressed Mode!" - which was basically a meme that parodied the dark, mope-rock that was popular at the time, like The Cure and Depeche Mode.  There was also the classic "The Lord's Gym!" t-shirt.

There is info on Jeff out there but I will only post a few links.  He keeps a low profile, and still plays music - it looks like he plays secular cover songs and reworks the lyrics so that they are 

Jeff's Testimony:
Interview from 2018 With Jeff Nicholson a.k.a. Niki Syxx

The Brew House Facebook page talking about Jeff:
FB Page Mentioning Jeff As The Original Niki Syxx

Jeff is mention in Sammy Hagar's book "Red" - Doug Van Pelt notes that in the 8th paragraph of his book review here:
Jeff Nicholson Mentioned By Doug Van Pelt

Last edited by Constantine on Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Wed May 06, 2020 11:36 pm

Constantine wrote:

Anyway back to the story.  So another fun fact about Jeff Nicholson is that he was the founder of the Living Epistles t-shirt company.

If anyone remembers these, they were t-shirts that featured early memes - basically, clever inversions or parodies of mainstream bands or pop culture catch phrases, with a corresponding Bible verse underneath or on the back.   
One t-shirt read "I Have The Cure For Your Depressed Mode!" - which was basically a meme that parodied the dark, mope-rock that was popular at the time, like The Cure and Depeche Mode.  There was also the classic "The Lord's Gym!" t-shirt.

Did he also make those "Megalife through Prayer" shirts (with Megalife in the Megadeth font and Prayer in the Slayer font"?

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri May 08, 2020 8:35 pm

WildWorld wrote:

Did he also make those "Megalife through Prayer" shirts (with Megalife in the Megadeth font and Prayer in the Slayer font"?
Interesting question.  I checked into this and it looks like the "Megalife" shirts are from another company. 

In fact, they still sell them on Redbubble, in different versions and colors.

Megalife shirts

Doug Pinnock of King's X hated these shirts!   He had some choice words for them in interviews.   
Here's one quote from in a 1991 Rolling Stone interview:

“I get so disgusted when I see these T-shirts with MEGALIFE and it looks like MEGADETH,” Pinnick says. “I’m going, ‘Do something original! If you Christians do something original, maybe people would respect you. But all you do is take everything you see that’s successful, and then you turn it around and want to tell people, “This is real.” This is b$^&*#@t.'”
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger Empty Update on Jeff Nicholson, the original "Nikki Sixx", August 2020:

Post by jonsilence Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:03 am

To set the record straight once and for all:

I am a former professional musician, and have personally known bassist/vocalist Jeff Nicholson, the original "Niki Syxx", since 1977. As of August 6, 2020, Jeff/Niki is very much alive. He is NOT related to and has no connection with the late Matthew Trippe who claimed in 1988 to have secretly worked with Motley Crue as a "substitute" for Nikki Sixx, as per the 2016 Classic Rock article "The Bizarre Life & Sad Death Of Nikki Sixx’s Doppelganger."  Hence, this thread is confusing two entirely different and unrelated people and situations.

Here are the basic facts:

In the early 1970s, Jeff Nicholson was a member of the San Francisco-based cover band The Justice Brothers featuring Sammy Hagar, pre-Montrose. This is confirmed in Sammy Hagar's autobiography "Red." From 1975 to 1978, Jeff was a member of hard rock cover band SQUEEZE who performed around SoCal, and also operated their own nightclub "Squeeze's Place" in Riverside. During this period Jeff conceived and adopted the stage name of "Niki Syxx."

Squeeze disbanded in mid 1978; Jeff continued to manage Squeeze's Place, and joined neo-surf band Jon & the Nightriders. Around this time Jeff was witnessed to by a Christian and had a powerful born-again experience that changed the course of his life. He continued to play rock n' roll, but felt moved to incorporate Christian values into his performances. He eventually relocated to Oregon and entered the ministry.

In 1979-80, future Motley Crue bassist Frank Ferrana, today known as "Nikki Sixx", was dating a girl who had also dated Jeff Nicholson in his Squeeze days. Looking through a scrapbook owned by the girl, Frank asked "Who is this Niki Syxx guy?" The girl explained and Frank concluded that the original "Niki Syxx" was not actively using the name, and decided to take it for himself with a minor spelling change. The rest is history.

Published newspaper articles dating from the late '70s confirm indisputably that Jeff Nicholson was the first and original "Niki Syxx", and Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx/Frank Ferrana has gone on record to state the history as I have related, and his choice to use the name for himself. Jeff Nicholson has always been okay with this.

As recently as 2018, Jeff revived his "Niki Syxx" alias for some solo music performances in which he performed rock classics with reworked lyrics that reflect his Christian faith.

Having seen Jeff/Niki perform with Squeeze back in the 70s, I can say that he was a phenomenal talent who could have played and sang with any major rock band of the day, especially Aerosmith.

I hope this amends the record and clears up any confusion or doubts.
Jon Silence

jonsilence
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by walters777 Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:56 pm

I saw Jeff Nicholson speak at Creation Festival in the very early 1990s. He did a session called, “Fair Talk on Rock”. It was amazing! I had the cassette for many years, but I would like to get a digitize it. If anyone knows how to contact Jeff about a copy, please let me know. I can’t find a Facebook for him or You Tube page that is current. My email is waltersh@npchristian.org.

walters777
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:03 pm

^I'm sure there is a way to contact him through Facebook (aka Fascistbook) but I do not use that.  As I mentioned above, I have a cassette of his talk "Does Ozzy Worship The Devil?" as well as a live version that is longer.  Both were amazing.  I just have to locate them.   But I have no way of digitizing them at the moment, and no one seemed interested in taking that project on, so....!
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:35 pm

Constantine wrote:
WildWorld wrote:

Interesting question.  I checked into this and it looks like the "Megalife" shirts are from another company. 

In fact, they still sell them on Redbubble, in different versions and colors.

Megalife shirts

Doug Pinnock of King's X hated these shirts!   He had some choice words for them in interviews.   
Here's one quote from in a 1991 Rolling Stone interview:

“I get so disgusted when I see these T-shirts with MEGALIFE and it looks like MEGADETH,” Pinnick says. “I’m going, ‘Do something original! If you Christians do something original, maybe people would respect you. But all you do is take everything you see that’s successful, and then you turn it around and want to tell people, “This is real.” This is b$^&*#@t.'”
Dug is absolutely right.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down